Wednesday, January 30, 2013

God Moments


I went for a run late last night in this crazy warm weather. I had my earphones in listening to Renee's music, no kid songs or sports radio. About five minutes into my run a thought crossed my mind..."Pray for your kids." I resisted for another minute before the thought came back even stronger..."Pray for your kids NOW." Reluctantly, I turned off my music, pulled out my earphones, stuck them in my pocket, and said, "Okay God. Here I am."

Earlier that day, the kids and I met Keith for lunch at a little deli shop. As we were eating, I looked over at 3 men waiting for their To-Go food. All three were peering almost zombie-like into their smartphones. I watched them for nearly five minutes. Only once did I see one of the men look up from their phones, and only to then quickly return to it after a few seconds. I don't presume to judge these men. I recently upgraded from a good old fashioned flip phone to a smartphone, or what I like to call my "fancy phone." After only one month, I have to deliberately tell myself to put "fancy" away else I would busy myself with it any spare moment I get.

The point of all this is simply...SO VERY MUCH IN THIS WORLD IS VYING FOR OUR ATTENTION. Whether it is music, fancy phones, career, entertainment, food, exercise, sports, money, relationships, hobbies, or beauty.

How often do we turn it all off and say, "Okay God. Here I am."

I fear that my children will become so enslaved to this world and all its attention grabbing "Turkish Delights" that there will be no room for the "Here I am, God" moments.

My prayer is this:

Lord, allow my children to understand that the world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. Grant them the strength to set their minds on things above, and not on earthly things. Teach them to treasure time with you above all things. May they choose to seek first Your Kingdom above all the distractions in this world vying for their attention."

"Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2

"The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever." 1 Jn 2:17

"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness..." Matthew 6:33a

2 comments:

  1. I love this new blog you have started! i enjoy hearing your heart...it takes me back 10 years :)
    love, nichole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Renee! Praying these prayers first for me and my husband and then our daughter. This blog is a "mentor" to me as a new parent too.

    ReplyDelete