Friday, February 8, 2013

God Values the Heart

Do you have a "thorn in your flesh," so to speak, that makes you feel incredibly weak and even worthless at times?

I have struggled recently with feeling unworthy as a woman because of a physical flaw that I cannot hide or seem to change.  When interacting with others in public it has made me feel embarassed, insecure, and weak.  But most of all, I have questioned my worth (value). 

The outward appearance carries so much weight in terms of worth and value in this world.  
I woke up yesterday morning feeling very vulnerable.  The enemy was shooting "flaming arrows" at me left and right about my appearance.
Yet, God is so tender.  He used so many of YOU to encourage me.  I received several e-mails and texts yesterday affirming the need for a blog like this.  Through you, God reminded me that what He values is completely opposite of what the world values. 
"The LORD does not look at the things man looks at.   Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."  1 Samuel 16:7 
He also gently encouraged me through my son, Grayden.  Grayden is not generally affectionate with me.  If I initiate a hug or a snuggle, he'll comply but rarely will he initiate affection toward me on his own.    While walking him into preschool yesterday he, for no apparent reason, took my hand and held it.  We walked in silence hand-in-hand.  I cannot even tell you how valued and loved I felt in that moment.  I got in my car after dropping him off and thanked Jesus for using my son to say, "You are valued."
Will I still struggle with this "thorn in my flesh?"  Of course. 
Will I still question my worth in this world?  Unfortunately, yes.
However, I will trust in God's tender reminder that:
"Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies?  Yet not one of them is forgotten by God.  Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."  Luke 12:6-7
If God values the little sparrow, then how much more does He value me?
I want my children to know that what the world values about their physical appearance and abilities will undoubetdly wither and fade, but that God values their hearts above all things.
Let's pray the following over our children today:

God, may my children understand that the world will place value in their outward appearance BUT that You do not.  May they be reminded that like the small, seemingly unimportant sparrow You will NOT forget them and that You care enough for them that You even know the number of hairs on their heads.  When they question their worth will You tenderly show them what You value...their heart.


Luke 12:6-7
1 Samuel 16:7

2 comments:

  1. i want to give you a hug right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would gladly accept it! Thanks for your words of encouragement the past few weeks. You're a good friend whom I haven't seen in years.... :(

    ReplyDelete