Monday, February 11, 2013

Surrendering All

I'm giving you my heart, and all that is within
I lay it all down for the sake of you, my King.
I'm giving you my dreams, I'm laying down my rights.
I'm giving up my pride for the promise of new life.
 
And I surrender all to you, all to you.
And I surrender all to you, Lord, all to you.

We sang this song at church yesterday and I spent the remainder of the day thinking often about our call as followers of Jesus to...surrender ALL. 
 
This is a scary and daunting expectation, is it not? 
 
How do we do it?

Jesus said to His disciples: 
"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."  Matthew 16:24

Here, Jesus gave three expectations for surrendering all to him:

First, I must deny myself. 
  • Give up my heart and all that it desires, my dreams, and the rights I feel and, maybe even, am entitled to
Second, I take up my cross.  
  • The cross was an instrument of death and here symbolizes the necessity of total commitment of faith in Jesus regardless of circumstance (even unto death).
Third, I follow Him.
  • In life HE leads, period.  He is in control, period.
Oh how I desperately want my children to trust in and follow Jesus.  Not because I want them to but because THEY desire to.  However, there are many in this world (even myself at times) who do not understand or whom forget that choosing to follow Jesus is a complete surrender of self.  This goes against everything the world teaches today about empowering yourself...and making your own destiny...and trusting your goodness and instincts. 

Join me today as we pray the following:

Lord, for each of my children, would you give them the gift of faith to deny oneself, to take up one's cross, and to follow Jesus.  May they hold nothing back for themselves but SURRENDER ALL to You: their hearts, their dreams, and even their rights.

Matthew 16:24

No comments:

Post a Comment