Monday, March 4, 2013

Casting Cares

I took a night off last week and when I got home I found this note on the kitchen counter:

 
Apparently Cole had a small cut on his finger and really wanted to call and tell me that it hurt.  Keith, wanting to respect my time away, convinced Cole that he could write me a note instead.  
 
The next morning, I awoke to Cole standing at my bed holding his finger up.  
 
"Good morning Cole,"  I said half-awake.
  "Mommy, my finger still hurts," he whispered.
 
Our little Cole didn't really talk until he was nearly three.  He had issues with ear infections and, as a result, had lots of fluid in his ears which temporarily inhibited his ability to hear sounds...an essential component to speech development.    
 
I can remember one ear infection in particular.  He was extremely whiny and difficult.  At the time I had no idea he had another ear infection.  He wasn't showing the usual signs...rubbing his ear, loss of appetite, fever, etc.  
 
We were trying to get out of the house and he wasn't cooperating at all.  Everything was a battle and he wouldn't stop crying.  
 
I grew so utterly frustrated that I literally shouted,
"Good Lord Cole, what is the matter with you?" 
 
Having no words, he said nothing and just kept crying.  And my only response was to cry as well.  
 
It wasn't until the next day that I took him to the doctor and discovered that he had a double ear infection and what his doctor described as "one of the worst she'd seen." 
 
Ironically the response in my head was something like, "Good Lord Renee, what is the matter with you?"  I felt terrible knowing that he had been in so much pain and I didn't know it.     
 
As a parent, it is extremely difficult when your child cannot vocalize his/her needs or hurts. You feel helpless and can become easily frustrated when you cannot figure out what they need.
 
Since entering the world of talking nearly 12 months ago, Cole has matured in his ability to "use his words"...as we like to call it in our house. I no longer have to guess as to what he needs because, rather than whining or screaming, he can now tell me.  It's simply wonderful!  So when I read his note the other night I was reminded of how far he's come.
 
For so long I waited for Cole to be able to tell me his cares.
And in the same way, God desires and waits for us to tell and give to him our cares.
 
1 Peter 5:7 says, "Cast all your cares on God because he cares for you." 
 
This means to tell and resign all one's concerns, needs, and emotions to God and to let Him tenderly care for us through His wise and gracious providence.
 
Just as Cole's maturation of speech brought with it the ability to express his needs, I desire that as my children mature in their relationship with Jesus they would learn to cast ALL their cares at His feet and trust in His care.  For His far exceeds any comfort or care I might attempt to give.  His care is perfect and complete.
 
Let's pray the following over our children today:
 
Lord, as my children mature in their ability to express themselves through words may they trust YOU with their cares and peacefully rest in Your care.  With words, rather than whining, may they express ALL their concerns to You and marvel at how perfectly complete Your care for them is.  
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment