Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Embracing Change

Change.

 
We've all experienced it.

 
It is impossible to avoid it.

 
It sparks a range of emotions from fear, anger, and discouragement TO anticipation, excitement, and wonder.

 
It often carries the promise of new beginnings.
BUT, implementing and carrying out change is STRAIGHT UP HARD.

 
And at times it can feel like we are swimming upstream with rocks blocking and pushing us to retreat and return to life's easier natural flowing direction.

 
At least once a week there is a battle fought in our household over the Changing of Clothes.  We've set a precedent that Grayden is to wear nicer clothes to preschool.  By nicer we mean jeans, NO sweatpants or as we like to call them, scrubpants. 

 
You could not even imagine the drama that arises when I ask him to CHANGE.  He insists the jeans are "too crunchy" and that he can't "run in them."  He says untrue statements like "none of the other kids wear jeans" and "I'm never going to school like this." 

 
For the record, I'm not much better in how I respond to change.  During this adventure with my skin I've had to make lots of changes in lifestyle and diet that have caused me to throw a few mini tantrums myself. 

 
For example, I haven't eaten dairy in nearly three weeks.  You better believe that watching other people bite into cheesy pizza and ice cream has caused me to make ridiculous statements like "It isn't fair that no one else has to do this," or "I can't eat anything fun or good now." 

 
I've also been trying to sleep on my back so as not to lay my face onto my pillow.  Oh boy, I've thrown fits throughout the night about this one.  Tossing and turning, growling and complaining about how "My life is so hard that I can't even sleep the way I want." 

 
I've been a little ugly and dramatic while trying to make these physical changes. 

Hmmmm, I wonder where G gets it?

 
These physical requests of change in Grayden and my life can be similiar to God's spiritual requests of change in our lives.  And like the physical requests, we can emotionally react to these changes in a very ugly, dramatic way.    

 
Scripture is clear, however, that when God calls us to change, He promises relief and direction in even the most difficult of cirumstances:

 
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.  See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not see it?  I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."  Isaiah 43:18-19

 
Furthermore, Scripture promises that in Christ the "old has gone" and we are now a "new creation." [2 Corinthians 5:17].  And that, if we let Him, He will transform us through a spiritual change of the mind and THEN we will learn to recognize and know God's perfect will for our lives:

 
"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think.
Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."
Romans 12:2 (NLT)

 
And finally, even when everything around us is changing, God is forever the same.  He does and will not change.  We can count on that when everything else around us is shifting:

 
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."  James 1:17

 
"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  Hebrews 13:8

 
Both physical and spiritual change can be hard.  Yet, once change is accomplished we find ourselves renewed, refreshed, empowered, and prepared for God's new adventures. As we trust God's direction we begin to forget that which was behind us and find hope and joy in the new plan God has for us. 

 
Our children cannot and will not be able to avoid change in their lives

 
The very foundation of choosing Christ lies on the expectation of change.  And the pilgrimage of walking with Him requires continual acts of change in order to become more like Him and to follow His directions.

 
Join me today and pray the following:
 
Lord, I pray my children would trust that YOU never shift or change.  I pray they would find peace in knowing that You are dependable and true to your perfect, loving nature.  I also pray that you would tenderly teach them to embrace Your change by transforming their minds to trust in Your perfect will and believe in Your perfect plan.  I pray they would see that Your requests of change make a way in life's deserts and provide streams in life's wastelands.  I pray that change in their lives wouldn't be emotionally ugly and dramatic but rather joyful and willingly obedient.
 
James 1:17; Hebrews 13:8; Romans 12:2; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Isaiah 43:18-19

No comments:

Post a Comment