Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Future Spouse

July 26, 2002
 
The boys and I had a fun conversation last night at dinner about who they might marry someday
 
Grayden was asking me about how old I was when daddy and I met each other and when we "became friends." 
 
Naturally, the conversation progressed to marrying daddy and who they might marry when they grew up. 
 
Of course, Cole very confidently said he wanted to marry his aunt Ruth and when I informed him she was already taken he says, "Fine mom, then I'll marry you."  
 
Grayden seemed to think a little longer and decided he would marry his friend Abree, "if she wants to." 
 
We talked a little more about what they might want their future wife to be like and why they could not get married until they were older.  The conversation slowly fizzled and we moved on to talking about more age appropriate subjects like why peeing in one's underwear is gross. Ha! 
 
I thought a lot about our conversation the rest of the night and felt like, while it was on my mind, I might as well pray for my children's future spouses. 
 
I am aware that there is the possibility that God's will is not for them to marry.  Yet, the probability is high that it will be God's will for at least one of them to marry.  Thus, I will pray. 
 
There are so many important things I could pray...
 
I could pray that their spouse would be humble of heart, kind, selfless, full of joy, spontaneous and fun-loving, and patient. 
 
I could pray that their spouse would grow up in a safe, loving home where their strengths are nurtured, their personality is valued, and their given the opportunity to have a fun-filled childhood. 
 
But that which is dearest to my heart today is to pray they grow to love Jesus and live a life worthy of Him.
 
 
Join me and and let's pray the following over our children:
 
Father, I pray that you would give my children's future spouses Your Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that they would know you better.  I pray that the eyes of their hearts may be enlightened in order that they may know the hope to which You have called them in Christ Jesus.  I pray You will fill them with the knowledge of Your will in order that they may live a life worthy of You and may please You in every way:  bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of You, and being strengthened with Your power so that they might have great endurance and patience throughout life.    
 
Philippians 1:9-11 & Colossians 1:9-11
 
 
   

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this prayer. Thank you for leading me in praying for my children.

    ReplyDelete