Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Laughter is Good for the Soul

Last week was physically and emotionally draining for me.  By the weeks end, I felt weary and dried up.  Knowing I needed some cheering up, a good friend invited me over saturday night for a Girl's Night full of fun and, most importantly, laughter. 
 
My spirit and body were rejuvinated for those few hours of laughing and acting silly were medicine to my weary self.
 
"A cheeful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."  Proverbs 17:22

 
The Bible is clear that there will be seasons in our lives where we will weep.  Nonetheless, we can be certain that there will also be many seasons of laughter.  

 
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven...a time to weep and a time to laugh." Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4

 
One of the greatest blessings of parenting is the joy and laughter children bring to a home. 
Their sweet, throw-your-head-back laughter is contagious. Sometimes I listen in on Grayden and Cole playing together and grin from ear-to-ear as they make each other laugh.  Unfortunately many of their jokes contain potty words of which they find completely hilarious. Yet regardless of its source, their laughter makes ME laugh.  And since Allie's arrival I now have the pleasure of watching her giggle and squeal in delight as well. 
 
Bottom line

Their cheeful hearts and silly antics are medicine to my soul.

 
 
 




Laughter is a gift from above and so, so good for the soul. 
 
Let's embrace moments of laughter with our children! 
 
Let's allow them to laugh as loud and as long as they like!
 
Let's help create reasons to laugh by tapping into our own silly child-like antics!
 
And Let's teach our children that laughter is great medicine during tough seasons in life!
 
Join me as I pray:

Lord, thank You for the gift of laughter.  I pray that my kids would be FULL of laughter and, when necessary, it would breathe life into their dry and weary bones. I pray that life would not become so serious and scheduled that they forget to make time for this wonderful gift.  



No comments:

Post a Comment