Thursday, March 21, 2013

Using Manners

Manners.
Table manners.
Bathroom manners.
Conversation manners.
Thank You manners.
Holding the Door manners.
Manners, Manners, Manners.

As a mother I feel it is my responsibility to teach my kids to use manners.
 
And if you were giving me a grade, I imagine I'd get a BIG FAT F.
 
Not for lack of trying though.
 
I have become convinced over the past few weeks that I will be reminding my children to use manners for the rest of their lives.  It feels this way, at least. 
 
How many times will I have to remind them to say thank you to the librarian when she gives them a sticker?
 
How many times will I have to remind them to say thank you to the deli worker at Kroger for giving them a FREE cookie?
 
How many times will I have to remind them to close their mouths when they chew?
 
How many times will I have to remind them to ask politely if they could have more dinner or be excused?
 
How many times will I have to remind them not to shove by the 80 year old woman when walking into Target?
 
How many times will I have to remind them to clean the toothpaste spit up off the sink, to wipe the toilet seat of their pee drops, or to give others privacy while using the bathroom?
 
I'm not angry.  I'm just frustrated with their lack of progress.
 
Using manners is probably not THE, or even, ONE of THE most important lessons I will teach my children. 
But, in my opinion, it's a lesson worth teaching.
 
Here's WHY:
 
Jesus said, "Do to others as you would have them do to you."
 
Luke 6:31
 
Ahhh, The Golden Rule.
 
Unfortunately, at this point, the Golden Rule is not a huge motivator for my boys to use manners.  Frankly, they do not really care if someone says thank you to them, closes their mouth while eating, or cleans up their pee off the toilet seat.  
 
YET, I have hopes that eventually they WILL.  And then it will all make sense...
 
"Oh, I get it.  I don't want to sit in someone else's pee, so I shouldn't make them sit in mine. "
 
And this is why I pray today. 
 
I pray that the "eventually WILL" happens sooner than later
 
Join me and pray the following:
 
Lord, I pray that my kids will learn the value of the Golden Rule in relation to using manners.  May their actions be considerate of others and thankful at heart.  I pray the Holy Spirit would gently remind them to do to others as they would have others do to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment