Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Crying Out To God




The kids and I attend a Bible Study on Tuesday mornings. 

About an hour into yesterday's study one of the children's leaders came and found me.

"We haven't been able to stop Allie from crying," she said.  "She's very upset.  Would you come?"

ABSOLUTELY.

Of all three, she is the most challenging to leave. 

This is not the first time I've had to return and rescue her from tears. 

I'm sure some of you have had a child like this and know how totally heart-wrenching I felt when I got to her and found her snotty and visibly exhausted and flustered from her crying.  She struggled to catch her breath for minutes and clung to me.  Her emotions were so very raw.   

I took her in my arms and held her close whispering these words, "You're okay baby girl.  Mommy's here."

And she settled.  After crying for so long, all she wanted was for me to rescue her.     

What a tender picture of how our heart cries out for God when we need rescued from sin and how He comes to our rescue.

Have you ever found yourself so engrossed in a particular sin that you've felt trapped in a pit?

Have you ever tried and tried to dig up and out of the pit only to find yourself falling deeper?

Have you ever cried out with the depths of your heart to be rescued, to receive His mercy and redemption, and to be freed from sin's destructive, crippling grip?

Psalm 130 is a powerful example of one of God's people crying out to God for resuce and redemption from sin. 
It is so incredibly raw and honest

Note how the author's words speak to his desperation and passion for help.  I imagine his cries, like Allie's, caused him to become physically flustered and exhausted.  And I know that just as I came to Allie's rescue, God came to his. 

1 Out of the depths I cry to you, Lord;
2 Lord, hear my voice.
Let your ears be attentive
to my cry for mercy.

3 If you, Lord, kept a record of sins,
Lord, who could stand?
4 But with you there is forgiveness,
so that we can, with reverence, serve you.

5 I wait for the Lord, my whole being waits,
and in his word I put my hope.
6 I wait for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning.

7 Israel, put your hope in the Lord,
for with the Lord is unfailing love
and with him is full redemption.
8 He himself will redeem Israel
from all their sins.
 
There is an incredible song by Tenth Avenue North entitled, "Worn."
 
The song is a powerful, honest ballad demonstrating the deep cries from the heart of one whose life is WORN, desperate for God, and in need of rescue and redemption.
 
Would you take a few moments to listen to it?
 
 
Our children will struggle with sin. 
 
And my heart's cry is that if they ever find themselves so engrossed and entangled in a crippling sin, that they would..."out of the depths"...cry out to God for rescue and redemption. 
 
For His ears are attentive to cries for mercy and in Him is full redemption and forgiveness of sin. 
 
He can pull them out of the pit and set them on solid ground!
 
Join me and let's pray together:
 
Lord Jesus, I pray that my kids would cry out to you for rescue and redemption if they find themselves entangled by sin.  I pray that they would so desperately want freed from their pit, that they would cry from the depths of their hearts for You.  And I thank you Jesus that You will hear their cries, come to their rescue, and grant them redemption in Your loving arms. 
 
Psalm 130


No comments:

Post a Comment