Friday, April 19, 2013

GUEST BLOG: Do Not Neglect God's Word


GUEST Blog Friday
written by Anne
 
She is a very dear friend of mine who I have great respect for.
I pray you are encouraged by her honest and powerful message.
 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember vividly, as a child, going through a confirmation process at my church and being given my very first Bible. 
 
No one was encouraging or requiring me to read it.
 
It was meant to be a sentimental gesture.
 
However, when I received that Bible as a young girl I remember thinking ,
 
“God wrote this?!  Well, if that’s true, I want to know what it says!”
 
For some reason, (now I know that reason is that God was pursuing me into a relationship with Himself!) I just wanted to immerse myself in those stories.

 
As a preteen, and then throughout high school and college, I bounced in between my interest in the things of God and my interest in all the social scene had to offer. But God continued to grip my heart and reveal Himself to me through His Word.

Thanks to several key people and organizations that God placed into my life I became more convinced that the Bible really held the words of God.

I was deeply impacted by various scriptures and passages that stuck in my heart ready for just the right moment to be called to my memory.

It was a sweet time for the Lord and me.

 
Now, as a mom of three active, amazing kiddos and wife to one fantastic husband, my mind is full, frazzled and, frankly, dulled to those passages I once remembered and loved.

In my precious spare moments I very rarely sit down to soak in the words of God or to pray.

If you want to know the truth, I run to my couch, my DVR, my stash of dark chocolate, Dr. Phil, Facebook, a novel, you get the idea.

Desperate for some down time or relaxation I neglect the One who can give me true rest.

When it’s typed out there so plainly it’s crazy to think of what I am choosing over the Giver of ever-lasting life.

 
Psalm 1 says:

Blessed is the one
    who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
    or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,

    and who meditates on his law day and night.

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
    whatever they do prospers.


My oldest, Ethan, has been given his first Bible.
 
He frequently asks for it to be his bed time story. (That, or Star Wars, of course.) 
 
I can see in him that same curiosity that I had as a little girl.
I see that same faith and hunger to know what God has to say.
 
My heart leaps at the thought of my children growing up to love God’s Word.
 
That they would read it, know it, and love it.
That it would be written on their hearts for just that right moment, to be called into memory.
 
And as their mom, I feel now is such an important time for me to have the words of God right on the tip of my tongue. Not buried in my distant memory.
 
So that I may have words of wisdom, comfort and truth to offer them as I parent, as they ask me tough questions, as they quarrel with each other and get their feelings hurt by friends.

 Psalm 119 speaks to this:
 
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches.


15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.

 And Psalm 19:

 9bThe decrees of the Lord are firm,
    and all of them are righteous.

10 They are more precious than gold,
    than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey,
    than honey from the honeycomb

Today, let’s pray that God would instill a love of His Word in our children’s hearts that will stay with them throughout their lives.

 
Father, you call those who meditate on your words blessed.  Joyful are those who obey Your laws and search for You with all their hearts.  May this be true of my children, as well as myself!  Lord, give my children a curiosity and a hunger to know Your Word. Allow the scriptures to come alive to them, to be applicable to their lives.  Write your words on their hearts and give them the ability to remember them as they go about their days.  Give me, as a parent, the discipline to meditate on Your Word daily. And I pray that as I discipline myself, that my children will be impacted by my example.  Together, may we hide your words in our hearts so that we may not sin against You.  Teach us to not neglect your Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment