Monday, April 1, 2013

Foolish Talk

 
Ahhhh...April Fool's Day.
 
The day of silly, sneaky jokes.
 
I'll be honest, I've never been a huge fan of April 1st.  
 
Probably because I'm naive and gullible. 
 
I've been duped a few too many times. Ha!
 
 
Don't worry.  
 
 
Today's post is not about ruining everyone's fun. 
 
 
I can take a joke, if it's a good one. 
 
 
However today, in honor of April Fool's, I thought it appropriate to write about "foolish talk."
 
 
We ALL know our words can get us into trouble.
 
 
Proverbs speaks to this.
 
 
"A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul." 
Proverbs 18:7
 
 
"Wise men store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin." 
Proverbs 10:14
 
 
When we are foolish with our words there will always be trouble.
 
 
Foolish talk is thoughtless, reckless, and destructive.  It is often haughty, unkind, and deceptive.
 
 
On the other hand, wise words are "instructive, pleasant...sweet to the soul and healing to the bones" AND they are full of "wisdom and understanding." [Proverbs 16:23-24; 10:13]
 
 
To put it simply: 
 
Foolish words are destructive. 
Whereas wise words are constructive.
 
 
Wouldn't it be wonderful if our children could learn this at any early age? 
 
 
What folly and trouble they would avoid!
 
 
Join me today and pray the following:
 
Lord, I pray that my children would learn to use words full of wisdom and understanding.  I pray they would avoid "foolish talk" that ensnares and destroys.  I pray their words would be constructive; pleasant and sweet to the soul.
 
Proverbs 10:14; 16:23-24; 18:7

No comments:

Post a Comment