Tuesday, April 9, 2013

God Sees Everything

There is a quiet, sometimes secret, message society sends: 
 
If no one sees and you can get away with it, then no harm done.
 
 
Yesterday the boys and I made Allie's birthday cake together. 

 
 
 
On the top we spelled the letter A using her favorite snack, graham crackers. 
 
And then to represent how SWEET she is, we put SweetTarts over the crackers.

As we were laying the graham crackers Cole was holding the wrapped SweetTarts until we needed them.  I told him that he could have a few SweetTarts when we were all finished.
 
 
Grayden and I were so engrossed in forming the letter A that I missed seeing Cole open the SweetTart wrapper and steal a few candy treats. 
 
 
What gave him away was the scrunching sound of the wrapper wadded up in his fist AND the crunching sound of the candy as he chewed. 
 
 
I looked up and his face completely gave it away.  I'm sure you all have seen this face...the guilty as charged look!
 
I then asked him if he had eaten a candy.  He shook his head no. 
 
I frowned and asked him to open his hand. 
 
Sure enough!  He had eaten ONE little piece.
 
 
It honestly was hard not to laugh. 
 
It was just one little piece of candy. 
 
And his deception and stealing skills were...so pathetic.
 
BUT, knowing the thoughts and effort that went into his deception I had to send him to his room for discipline.
 
I am reminded that we often try to get away with sin by doing it quietly and secretly when no one is looking. 
 
We also believe that one little sin will not hurt anyone. 
 
And we actually are naive enough to think that if we get away with it there is no harm done.
 
 
What trips us up every time, however, is that...
 
 
"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."  Hebrews 4:13
 
 
"For your ways are in full view of the LORD, and he examines all your paths." 
Proverbs 5:21
 
 
"My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from me, nor is their sin concealed from my eyes." 
Jeremiah 16:17
 
Sure, there are times when we are successful in hiding our sin and we are not found out. 
 
But, God ALWAYS sees
 
Nothing is hidden from Him. 
 
No matter how much scheming and skill we possess, we will never get away with hidden sins.
 
 
Join me and pray the following today:
 
Lord God, I pray that my kids would NOT try to secretly get away with sin.  I pray they would have the wisdom to understand that even if no one else knows their thoughts or sees their behavior, that YOU DO.  May they remember that You see ALL their ways, that nothing is hidden from You, and that their sin is never concealed from Your eyes.  I pray they would choose obedience even in the quiet and secret places.

No comments:

Post a Comment