Tuesday, April 23, 2013

In Weakness, He is Strong


Friends, parenting can be tough.

I had another frustrating evening last night.
I sense God sifting and refining me this week.

As much as I try to live by the Spirit while parenting my kids, it never fails that when the chaos of life hits...I grow WEAK and often revert to fleshly impatience and anger. 

And then, to make matters worse, I replay my day's failures back and become very, very discouraged.

Yesterday went like this...great morning and early afternoon. 

Late afternoon and evening were a totally different story.  

Looking back there wasn't one event that triggered my "failure" (so to speak), it was a culmination of several chaotic moments that naturally occur with having a 5,4 and 1 year old. 

The moments just kept building on themselves and my STRENGTH to love and maintain patience began to deplete and before I knew it I was so, so WEAK. 

And instead of running to a safe place for 1 minute, falling to my knees, and crying out to God for His strength...I spent the rest of the evening parenting on empty

Which, as many of you probably know, is always a recipe for disaster.

I then spent the evening having what Keith and I often refer to as a "Parenting Pity Party."

I started wallowing in self-pity, focusing on my shortcomings, comparing myself to all the other patient moms who never hit empty, and eventually punishing myself the rest of the evening by moping about.

But I awoke this morning feeling covered by His Grace.



I was reminded of the verse that promises that the grace of Jesus is "sufficient" for me, for His "power is made perfect in my weakness."  Therefore I can boast all the more gladly about my weakness because Christ's power will rest on me.
For when I am weak, He is my strength. 
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

My human WEAKNESS in parenting is a perfect platform for Christ's STRENGTH to be demonstrated. 

It's obvious I can't parent without Him.

So, I rest this morning in the GRACE-filled arms of Jesus and admit my weakness.  

I cling to the truth that "because of the LORD's great love" for me I am "not consumed." 
 

I am so very thankful that His compassions are "new every morning" and I will say to Him today, You are "my portion."  You are all that I need to avoid parenting on empty.

I will never be a perfect parent.
You will never be a perfect parent.
But Praise God, HE IS the perfect parent!

So, when we fail we MUST run into His arms where we will find grace and ALL the strength we need to start a NEW day.

This, my friends, is a message we must also teach our children. 
For they will surely fail and grow weak AND desperately need the STRENGTH of Jesus to rest on them.

Join me today and let's pray the following:

Jesus, I praise you for a new day full of Your loving grace.  I thank you that You are my portion, all that need for every parenting moment today.  I pray that my kids would find strength from You in those moments when their flesh is dangerously weak.  I pray that when they find themselves empty, that You would be their portion.  I pray they would rest in the arms of Your grace when they fail and that they would cling to the mercies You give each new day. 

Lamentations 3:22-24
2 Corinthians 12:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment