Monday, April 29, 2013

Seeking God through Song


Lately the boys have been requesting the following song when riding in the car AND at bedtime:

Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
Oh God, You are my God
And I will ever praise You
I will seek You in the morning
And I will learn to walk in Your ways
And step by step You'll lead me
And I will follow You all of my days

I love this song!  

It is meaningful to me because I learned it at a church camp way back in 6th grade.  It was the theme song for camp that year. 

Even at such a young age, I recall praying this song to God and making a comittment to Him that I would make the five promises of this song a reality. 

And since then, there have been many defining moments in my life where I've been reminded of this song and the promises I made that day.


And now my kids love it! 

And when I hear their sweet little voices singing the words, I find myself praying that they too would desire to make the promises of this song a reality.

That they would:

1. Embrace God as their own!

"O God, you are my God,
earnestly I seek you;
my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you,
in a dry and weary land
where there is no water."
Psalm 63:1


2. Forever Praise Him!
 
Because your love is better than life,
my lips will glorify you. 
I will praise you as long as I live." 
Psalm 63:3, 4a



3. Seek Him first thing!
 
"My soul yearns for you in the night;
in the morning my spirit longs for you."
Isaiah 26:9a

4. Learn to walk in His ways!

"And now, O Israel, what does the LORD your God ask of you but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in his ways, to love him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul."  Deuteronomy 10:12


5. Follow His lead every day!

"This is what the LORD says...'I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go."  Isaiah 48:17



Join me today and let's pray the following over our children together!

Jesus, Thank you for the power of song to speak to the hearts of my children.  I pray that as You draw them to yourself through the words of this song that they would desire to make its promises a reality. 

I pray they would embrace You as their God. 

I pray they would praise You as long as they live. 

I pray they would seek You first, above all things; that in the morning YOU would be on their heart. 

I pray they would learn to walk in Your ways.

And I pray that they would see that Your directing of their life is best and that they would follow Your lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment