Thursday, April 4, 2013

Slow to Anger

Love
is



I don't know about you, but I have moments when I become easily angered with my kids
 
 
Like a science experiment gone wrong, anger foams to the surface and I blow up!
 
 
Lately, I have had some ugly anger moments. 
 
 
And sadly, many of them have been over silly mistakes my kids have made like...
 
 
The boys spilling both their water cups at lunch because they were fooling around.
 
 
Getting accidentally kicked in the gut by Cole while putting his shoes on because he is distracted and not paying attention.
 
 
Having to return into the cold to the passenger side of the car to help Cole with his carseat buckle after he told me he wanted to do it himself and I was already buckled in.
 
 
Having to explain to a whining Grayden once again that his jeans aren't too scrunchy and that other kids wear them too.
 
 
Chasing after Allie and saving her from tumbling down the stairs because the boys didn't remember to close the kitchen gate.
 
 
None of these mistakes were vindictive or purposeful. 
 
 
They were, for the most part, innocent and the result of their age and immaturity. 
 
 
The bottom line is that I really had no right to become so easily angered with them. 
 
 
As a mother,  I should have an abundance of patience for the silly childish mistakes every kid makes.
 
 
An explosion of anger for me usually includes
 
raising my voice,
 
shaming my kids with "what were you thinking" type of words,
 
and then grumbling under my breath unkind accusations and threats.
 
It can be ugly. 
 
 
In those moments if I were on a reality show it would probably make for good TV simply because my actions look a lot like a three year old's...maybe worse.
 
 
Hopefully by this point you haven't all judged me.  Ha! 
 
 
I'm assuming that I'm not alone and that other mothers struggle with becoming easily angered, even at the most trivial and ridiculous things.
 
 
James 1:19-20 should be plastered ALL OVER my house in hopes that I might avoid becoming easily angered
 
 
"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life God desires."
 
 
Wow!  Powerful words
 
Rather than listening to God and my kids in those moments, 
 
controlling the words that come out of my mouth,
 
and keeping my cool...
 
sin bursts forth out of me. 
 
 
And just like the Scripture says, the righteous life God desires for me is NOT accomplished. 
 
 
I've come to Jesus with this over and over again in recent weeks
 
 
I admit my wrong.
 
Repent to Him. 
 
 
Apologize to my kids.
 
 
And then rest in His grace. 
 
 
After seeking His help, I've heard three specific instructions from Him:
 
 
First...Chill out Renee.  Stop trying to control everything and blowing up when you can't.  Give it to Me.
 
 
Second...Patiently love them like I patiently love you when you make silly, spiritually immature mistakes over and over again.  I'll gently pick up the pieces and then patiently guide you.
 
 
Third...Watch yourself because THEY are watching you.  You are a reflection of Me, imitate me WELL. 
 
 
I've shared this embarassing truth about myself today because, along with myself, I want to pray my children would learn to not be easily angered.
 
 
Join me today and pray the following:
 
 
Lord Jesus, Your word teaches that Love is Patient.  I pray you would grow my children into maturity so that they will have the strength and wisdom to love those around them with patient hearts.  I pray they would learn NOT to become easily angered but QUICK to listen to You and others who make mistakes,  SLOW to speak, and SLOW to become angry.  Help them to "chill out" and give up control to You.
 
James 1:19-20 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I am right there with you, Renee. This describes me so well. I laughed at a few of your examples because exactly the same things have happened to me (the seat buckle!). Thanks for your openness.

    ReplyDelete