Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The Better Choice


Grayden came with me on a run yesterday evening.  He rode his bike and I ran alongside of him. 

We spent nearly 40 minutes chit-chatting about a little bit of everything...there were everyday-type conversations, funny conversations, serious conversations, and teachable conversations. 

I enjoyed our time immensely.

It was one of those moments with your kids you wish you could have every day where your dialogue is natural and easy, you enjoy each others company, your relationships grows, and you have opportunity to teach and they actually listen and ask questions.

So often for me the day is full of to-do's and scheduled events that there is little time for anything else. 

I'll admit that sometimes the amount of time I give to my kids where I am fully attentive is a few pathetic minutes in the day. 

The hustle and bustle of life takes over and all kinds of other things that I feel I must accomplish distract me so much that I forget to sit down and simply talk and play with them.  

Before I know it, the day is gone and I've missed precious moments to love, teach, and enjoy them.

Can you relate?

Do you let the many other things in life distract you or get in the way of the things that really matter to you like time with your kids? 

Does time with God each day get placed on the back burner as well?

I have always loved the story in Luke 10 about Mary & Martha. 

Take a moment and read it in its entirety:

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


Martha was busy with all the hustle and bustle BUT Mary set it all aside and spent time with Jesus.

She chose what was better and what could never be taken from her.

Oh how I long to put aside all my Martha-tendencies and, like Mary, choose God first and my family second above all other distractions.    

I also desire that my children wouldn't fall into this same trap and routine of allowing life's hustle and bustle to rob them of time with Jesus.  Time that is better well spent at His feet and will reaps benefits far beyond the pleasure of checking off the day's to-do list. 

Let's set the example for our children. 
Let's take time for God.
Let's take time for them.

 
Join me today and pray the following

Jesus, I pray that my children wouldn't be like Martha and allow life's to-do's to get in the way of sitting down at your feet and listening and learning from you on a daily basis.  I pray they would have the wisdom and grace to make Mary's choice.  And I pray that they would truly see how great are the benefits of choosing You over all the other distractions life has available to them.  May their love for You be greater than their love for this world.

Luke 10:38-42





No comments:

Post a Comment