Friday, May 31, 2013

GUEST BLOG: Curious


GUEST BLOG FRIDAY!
Written by Leah
 
Today we have the privelege of hearing the praying heart of my cousin Leah.  She is an incredible woman who sincerely loves Jesus and who strives to put Him first in all things. 
 
Like some of you who read this blog, Leah doesn't have children BUT she does have a ministry where she has opportunity to love and teach children.  Specifically, she has mentored a young (now 11 year old) girl for the past FIVE years.
 
I pray we are encouraged and blessed by Leah's wise and loving heart in regards to praying over the children in our lives.  And I pray more and more of you will be bold enough to share your praying heart with the rest of us. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Madison (not her real name) was six, I began spending time with her every other week. We were matched up through a local mentoring program for kids who need extra attention and love.

Over the last five years, she has become a part of my family. There are plenty of weeks when I just plain don't want to go pick her up, but the big picture is that I love her and care deeply about her future.

Since Madison lives out in the boondocks, I spend a lot of time in the car on the our evenings together. Ride out after work, pick her up, bring her to town. Spend a few hours together. Take her back to her house, ride back to my town. Hours in the car, people. Hours.

But that car-time is precious to me. (It'd be even more precious if it didn't involve shoveling money into a gas tank.) I try to prepare myself for time with Madison by worshipping and praying in the car.
 
My most frequent & powerful prayer has been this:


God –

Make her curious.

Make her curious about You.

Make her curious about You in me.

Give her

questions to ask,

thoughts to ponder,

glimpses of You to whet her appetite.

Make her curious.

 
I get limited time with Madison. Aside from the foggy eleven-year-old details she gives me, I'm not sure what she deals with at school. I'm not sure what the nuances of her family relationships are. I didn't even find out until this year that she still sucks her thumb to fall asleep.

But I do know that Jesus wants her. And that for three hours every two weeks, I can answer her volley of questions and do my best to direct conversation toward God and how great He is.

"Will I go to Hell if I do the same wrong thing over & over?"

"How high up does God live?"

"God will punish those people for being mean, right?"

"Do married people have to have sex?"

"HE COULD DO THAT?!" (in reference to the resurrection)

God loves Madison's questions. He craves her simple, honest curiosity, however rough-around-the-edges it may be.
 
Here's how I know:

Luke 19: 1-7

Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector [read: he was a cheater of the largest magnitude and everyone hated him] and was wealthy. He wanted to see who Jesus was, but being a short man he could not, because of the crowd. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see Him, since Jesus was coming that way.

When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today." So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.

All the people saw this and began to mutter,"He has gone to be the guest of a 'sinner.'"

They end up having a nice visit in which Zacchaeus is so intrigued by Jesus that he empties his bank account, making abundant restitution to the victims of his cheating ways.
 
Jesus makes his love for Zacchaeus very evident:

Luke 19:9

Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. For I came to seek and save what was lost."

Don't you love that? With everyone still nipping at Zacchaeus' heels, clinging to their bitterness and calling him a "sinner," Jesus affirms Zacchaeus, not just with His words but by spending time with him. By satisfying his curiosity. By changing Zacchaeus' thought-patterns.

That's the type of Jesus-encounter I want to see stem from Madison's curiosity.
 

Let's pray the following for the kids we love:

God – You love questions. Half the time in Scripture, you even answer questions with questions. I pray, I beg, I petition you to hear the questions of my kids. Prompt new questions in them. No matter how deeply they mess up, I pray that, like Zacchaeus, they would have an insatiable curiosity about You. Touch their spirit with Yours so that they just cannot get enough and absolutely must encounter You again. And again. And again. Affirm them, as You did Zacchaeus. And give me wisdom to answer their questions in the manner that You would. I pray that even today You would arrange a fantastic God-conversation for us. I pray it would not be forced but would flow out of their curiosity. Amen, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment