Monday, May 20, 2013

Living With Intensity


6 years ago today my world FOREVER changed!

God answered my heart's prayer to be a mother and gave us a child....Grayden.

Living With Intensity appropriately describes how this journey of motherhood began for me. 

It also perfectly describes Grayden.

To live with intensity means to exist in a high or extreme degree of strength, force, energy, and feeling; to be highly concentrated.

Whether Grayden is playing a board or card game, competing in a sport, singing in the kid's church choir, drawing & writing a card for someone, lending a helping hand, or learning new things he goes about it with a high degree of intensity...meaning he is highly concentrated & both physically and emotionally invested so as to accomplish a set purpose. 

Many would call his intensity, competitive
And that he is...very, very competitive.

It is rare for him to exert partial, half-hearted effort.  He is driven and determined, "fixing his eyes" on the goal at hand. 

His intensity can often result in frustration and tears when he loses, messes up, or becomes confused. 

On the other hand his intensity often helps grant him success, sparks new growth, and gives way for accomplishing goals and purposes.

If guided and cultivated this intensity he competes and lives with will help to fully equip him for a relationship with and life of service to Jesus

For God desires that His children's faith is lived out with intensity. 

There is no room for partial or half-hearted faith. 

God wants us highly concentrated on Him and His purposes; driven and determined to live a life worthy of Him.  His desire for us is to run the Christian race with great intensity, so as to WIN.  We are to compete for His prize.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 speaks to this and underlines living intensely for God,

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.  No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize."

Hebrews 12:1-2a further emphasizes the need for intensity in one's faith,

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus..."

So as Grayden turns 6 today I am praying that his current level of intensity for everyday life will mature into an extreme degree of intensity for his faith in and relationship with Jesus. 

My hope and desire is that his competitive soul would be used powerfully and effectively for God's Kingdom.

Happy Birthday Grayden! 

May you NEVER lose your God-given intensity and may you ALWAYS use it for His glory.

Join me today in prayer over our children:

I pray my children would live life with spiritual intensity, highly concentrated on accomplishing God's goals and purposes for them.  I pray they would NOT walk aimlessly and become easily ensnared by sin BUT rather that they would fix their eyes on Jesus who will perfect their faith.  I pray they would train their minds and bodies to be slaves to Christ and that they would RUN the Christian life in such a way as to WIN.  I pray they would throw off everything that might entangle them and run with intensity the race You have and will continue to mark out for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment