Friday, May 10, 2013

GUEST BLOG: Mother's Day Part II

Guest Blog Friday!

My husband Keith asked me several weeks ago if he could do a guest blog.  Completely delighted I, of course, answered YES!  What you are about to read wasn't exactly what I had in mind when he originally offered but he INSISTED that I HAD to post his words, unedited.  Thus, I will reluctantly submit to his request and allow myself a little embarassment. 

I pray that every mother who follows this blog feels as loved and appreciated as I do reading Keith's encouraging words toward ALL mothers. 


-----------------------------------------------------------
 
written by Keith
 
In anticipation of this weekend’s Mother’s Day I asked Renee for the privilege of making today’s blog entry so that I could honor Renee and all of the other mothers, grandmothers and caregivers who faithfully pray for our children.  THANK YOU!!!

 
When Renee had the idea to begin this blog nearly four months ago I thought it was a great idea for her to “journal” through her prayer life with God and share with other like-minded mothers. 
 
I had no idea how much I would be blessed directly through the blog.  Not only does it give me a window into my wife’s faithful prayer life for our children, it also inspires and encourages my own prayer life. 


In Proverbs 31, scripture describes a wife of noble character who, among other things,
 
“gets up while it is still night [and] provides food for her family . . . speaks with wisdom and faithful instruction is on her tongue.  She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.” 
(Proverbs 31:15, 26-27). 
 
Each morning Renee rises early – usually well before dawn and “while it is still night” – and begins writing these blog entries with care and attentiveness to God’s leading (she often begins praying and thinking about the entries the night before). 
 
In this way Renee is providing for her family and watching over our household’s well-being through prayer, just as the wise and noble woman described in Proverbs (see also Proverbs 14:1 that says a “wise woman builds her house”). 
 
The fruit of these labors is evident in many ways, including when I see:

--Grayden and Cole praying for others;

--Grayden and Cole choosing to put someone else’s interests above their own (which is counter-intuitive in children and counter-cultural in people of all ages); and

--Renee’s extra-patience with our children (and with me).
 





So if you’ll allow me, I would like to say to Renee: “Many women do noble things, but [to me] you surpass them all.”  (Proverbs 31:28).

 

I also know Renee is not alone.  Many of you (both women and men) are also faithfully committed to praying for the children in your lives. 
 
Keep praying God’s Word over those children and take encouragement from scripture that God is committed to guide and protect our children and mothers: 
 
“He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.” (Isaiah 40:11) 


Join me in prayer today over our children AND OVER OUR MOTHERS:

Jesus, I pray that my children would recognize how blessed they are to have a mother that is relentlessly seeking your wisdom and praying through your Word.  I pray that my children would seek to imitate that same level of commitment to You.  I pray that each mother would be encouraged by your Word and would feel God’s blessing on them as they nobly serve their families.  I also pray that each mother and child would be strengthened by you and would recognize your presence as you come alongside and gently lead us.

No comments:

Post a Comment