Monday, May 13, 2013

The Sluggard vs. The Diligent

The Sluggard: One who is habitually lazy, inactive.

The Diligent: One who is characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort; constant in effort to achieve accomplishments.

Psalm 13:4 teaches that,

"The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied."

Often my children WANT something but are unwilling to WORK to get it. 

They groan and whine for help without even lifting a finger of effort.  They want an immediate return on what they crave without investing of their time and energy to get it. 

They do nothing but express over and over again what they WANT.  They practically exhaust themselves exerting energy and effort to express their WANT but insist they are "too tired," or "can't do it" themselves.

My parenting dilemma is this:

Do I make them work for what they desire... likely requiring me to endure more whining and to bear the added work this "teaching moment" will surely create for me?

OR
 
Do I do the work for them...making my life easier?

Clearly, the right choice to this dilemma is to MAKE THEM WORK FOR IT but I'll admit that I have my moments where I make the wrong choice. 

We mustn't save our children from diligent effort.

We mustn't encourage THEIR sluggish behavior in order to maintain OUR own.  Lazy parenting wreaks of disaster on so many levels.

Saving our children, for whatever reason, from working for that which they crave or desire breeds sluggish behavior.

Rather, we must teach them that the desires of those who work steadily and earnestly are fully satisfied

We must patiently sit back and allow them the opportunity to work hard for something and then delight in seeing the fulfillment and satisfaction they feel when their hard work pays off.

Join me in prayer today:

Jesus, I pray that my children would resist sluggard-like behaviors.  I pray they would diligently work for that which they desire through steady, earnest, and energetic effort.  I pray they wouldn't taste of the bitterness of laziness but would rather indulge in the sweet satisfaction of diligent work.  And I pray that You would give ME the strength to resist saving them from hard work and the patience to watch and support them when diligent work is required of them.






No comments:

Post a Comment