Thursday, June 20, 2013

Don't Trash the Planet

 
The whole "GOING GREEN" campaign is in full swing AND we ALL can do our part.

I'll admit I'm still learning how best I can contribute to "Keeping This Planet Beautiful" on a daily basis.

HAVE found one very simple way...throwing away my trash.

Over the weekend we visited Baltimore, Maryland and stayed downtown at the harbor.  It was a nice area with a beautiful brick walkway that wrapped around the water.  I went for a run one evening along the walkway enjoying the sights and sounds. 

While running I noticed ALL the trash that had been littered about by tourists and residents of the city.  At one point I watched a group of teenage boys walk away and leave their entire Chipotle dinner (minus the food) on a bench.  I'm talking tons of trash...plates, utensils, cups, and napkins all over the bench and ground.  Ironically enough, there was a garbage can only a few feet away . 

This was suppose to be a place where people could sit and enjoy the sights of the harbor but these teenagers had turned it into their own personal dumping ground.

I spent the remainder of the run considering why on earth these teenagers would "Litter Their Dinner?" 

Here were my possible conclusions:
  • It was an accident, they simply forgot.
  • They are teenagers and teenagers tend to think only of themselves.
  • Perhaps they've never have had anything nice or have never been asked to take care of something so they think nothing of trashing a beautiful space.
  • They figure it's someone's job to pick up trash and they wouldn't want to put that someone out of a job.
  • They are just plain lazy.

Regardless of WHY the teenagers chose to litter, I determined that I would really like my children (and soon to be teenagers) to throw their trash away.  I want them to be considerate of God's creation by treating it with common decency and respect...which in this case means NOT LITTERING.

The Bible teaches that

"The earth is the LORD's and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters."  Psalm 24:1

AND

"For by him all things were created; things in heaven and on earth..."  Colossians 1:16

If I was to create a beautiful piece of art and give it to the people I loved to enjoy AND they treated it carelessly, I would be frustrated and hurt.

I can imagine the same is true for our God and His remarkable piece of art...EARTH.

I finished my run that evening praying that my children, and myself, would make a concious effort to take care of this piece of art we live in. 

And a very simple start is to walk our trash to the garbage can.

Join me today in prayer

God, You are the creator of all things.  The earth, and ALL that is in it, is Yours!  I pray that my children would see this planet as your piece of art and that they would make conscious strides toward keeping it beautiful.  I pray they would be considerate of You and of others around them by choosing NOT to litter regardless of how easy it is to do OR how far away the nearest trash can is.  May their respect for YOU trump any excuse or reason they may have for trashing this planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment