Friday, June 21, 2013

GUEST BLOG: Ditching the One-Dimensional God

I LOVE GUEST BLOG FRIDAY!!!

This is the third post written by my cousin Leah who mentors a young girl (Madison) in her town.  I have been very blessed by her previous posts.  Here are the links to her previous posts in case you'd like to catch up:   CuriousSassy McSasspants   

She writes today about a topic dear to my heart...taking God out of a box and seeing Him as THE awesome, multi-faceted LORD that He is.  I trust you will find her post very applicable when considering how you can pray for the children in your life.

And AS ALWAYS...if you would ever like to guest blog PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do!  All of the readers of this blog, including myself, benefit from hearing the hearts of others when thinking about how we can pray for our children.  If you aren't sure how to contact me, just comment on a post and I'll get back to you.

God bless you friends.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
written by Leah

I'm not a mother yet, but there are plenty of kids that I already adore. And I care very much about their spiritual development. Madison is one of them.

The older I get, the more I realize that the one-dimensional God of my early childhood is actually infinitely multi-faceted. There are new things to discover about Him in all phases of life, and each phase gets sweeter.


Madison's current view of God is pretty one-dimensional: He is loving, but it's from a distance. He's way more focused on giving rules and exacting punishments on the rule-breakers.

Madison's birth parents have both been in jail at one point or another, so this view of God is understandable. She's simultaneously fascinated and terrified by authority figures.

I cannot count the number of times she's asked me, "If you [insert any infraction, big or small], would the police arrest you?" She's nervous that she'll end up in jail like her parents, as if she's automatically inherited their character flaws.

And yet if you ask her what she wants to be when she grows up, guess what she says? A policeman. (Forget political correctness. She's not going to waste a syllable to say "policewoman".)

I desperately want Madison's view of God to be expanded.

She's got Him pegged all wrong, and sometimes it breaks my heart. But I trust that He'll find ways to reveal more and more of Himself to Madison as she grows up. I trust that eventually she won't view Him as "a policeman".

Let's base today's prayer off of the following verse:


2 Cor 13:14
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
Does any other verse speak so well of God's multi-faceted awesomeness? Read these slowly again:


The grace of Jesus.

The love of God.

The fellowship of the Spirit.

I could bask in that all day long. While I bask, you pray:

Jesus, beautiful Lord – I ask today that my kids would be astounded at how little they know of You, amazed at each new discovery of You. Expand their view. Widen their understanding. Give them the gift of uncovering You in fresh ways. And give me the blessing of witnessing these new discoveries: May my child run to me sometime this next week with an exclamation of amazement over You. And of course, since this journey of discovery is never over, I ask You to show me a new side of You today. Sometimes I mistakenly think You are boring. Stale. Old news. As if I already know everything there is to know about You. But I'm so hungry to see You. Remind me that You transcend the parameters of my shallow mind. Unveil yourself, God, even as You open my eyes. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment