Friday, June 7, 2013

GUEST BLOG: Sassy McSasspants

We have another opportunity to hear the heart of my cousin toward the beautiful young girl she mentors.  And I believe that anyone working with children can relate to this one!  We've all encountered the troublesome SASS from the children in our lives.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

by Leah

In my last guest blog post, Curious, I explained the relationship I have with Madison. [You can find and view this previous post by clicking to May 31st]
 
The most recent development in our relationship is that her pre-teen sister has discovered sass and has unintentionally (I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt) transmitted it to Madison.

It made for a heck of a visit the last time I had Madison.  Just sheer torture, folks.

I actually cried after dropping her off. It was just that exhausting and disheartening (and insulting).

First of all, I'm not one to buckle in the face of pre-pubescent disdain, eye-rolling, snippy comments, and feigned boredom.

So rest assured that we will deal with this.

But Madison's choices are her own, and my best efforts to corral her toward maturity & kindness will fall short if she never makes Jesus THE priority of her heart.

Up until now, she has been moldable, quick to obey, eager to please, curious about God. But Heaven help us from here on out.

In the face of Madison's sudden pre-teen angst, I feel a bit like Paul in his letter to the Galatians:

Gal 5:7-8
You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? That kind of persuasion does not come from the One who calls you.

Paul is talking to the Galatian church about the circumcision issues of the day, but the message is the same: "Madison! You were doing so well. I was so encouraged by your spirit. What in the world happened? Whatever it was, it sure isn't from God."

My new desires for Madison center around the Proverbs:

Prov 13:3
He who guards his lips guards his life,
but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin.


Prov 18:12
Before his downfall a man's heart is proud,
but humility comes before honor.


Prov 15:31
He who listens to a life-giving rebuke will be at home among the wise.
 

Pray with me for the kids in your life, inserting their names where I mention Madison:

Lord, give Madison a spirit of humility. When she is tempted to blurt out an insult, be disrespectful with body language, or speak pridefully, give her pause. May Your sweet Spirit in her little heart prompt Madison in those split-second decisions. Teach her to shelve the sass in favor of Your wisdom, Your love & compassion, Your humility. Not just for the sake of making my life easier, but so she can taste the goodness of walking in Your soul-filling ways. And please, please, give me patience to respond as You would, as You do every day in the face of my own pride and sass that I fling Your way. May I learn the same lessons as Madison, even if it is the grown-up version. Amen, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment