Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hypocrisy

Without question...hypocrisy amongst Christians stops the spreading of the Gospel message in its tracks.

Who would want to follow a Savior whose followers are liars and fakes?

There is nothing more religiously repulsive than a Christian who says one thing and does another.

Or a Christian who judges and is even "repulsed" by another's sin while turning a blind eye to or even covering up his/her own struggle with sin.

Or a Christian who makes every effort to appear "super spiritual" on the outside but is actually quite wicked on the inside.

Jesus speaks to the problem of hypocrisy in Matthew 23:27-28 by calling out the religious elite of His day...

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness."

Unfortunately, we have all been hypocrites at some point or another.

And if you're anything like me, you've even been a hypocrite to your children.

How many times have we told our children to use kind words, only to turn around and speak unkindly to them?

How many times have we told our children they need to have self-control when they are angry, only to turn around and scream at them.

How many times have we told them to spend time with Jesus and WE haven't opened our Bible for days?

How many times have we told them to trust God and we haven't trusted Him with our own personal struggles?

How many times have we told them to be obedient to God's Word, only to turn around and disobey it ourselves?

We cannot allow our children to learn hypocrisy from us.

We must be humble of heart. 
We must be honest about our sin struggle. 
We must communicate OUR need for a Savior.
We must live in light of the Grace & Forgiveness we've been granted.
And we must demonstrate a passionate and genuine desire to KNOW Jesus personally.

I DO NOT want to raise more Christian hypocrites. 

I do not want Jesus to say these words about me or my children...

Jesus said in Matthew 15:7-8

"You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men."

I do NOT want my children to act like little Christian Pharisees by looking one way on the outside and then a completely different way on the inside.

I do NOT want them to honor God with their lips while having hearts that are far from Him. 


Join me today in prayer and let's pray against a spirit and life of hypocrisy in our children:

Jesus, hypocrisy is a real problem amongst Christians and, at times, even myself.  Will You give me the strength to pursue You passionately; will You draw my heart close to you, and will You help me to live a life that is genuinely and consistently a reflection of You and Your Word.  I also pray for my children's hearts, may theirs be close to You and may the way they live their lives reflect that.  May they shun behaviors of hypocrisy where they strive to appear righteous on the outside but do nothing about their wickedness on the inside.  Protect them from becoming little Christian Pharisees.  Make their hearts humble before You and may they live their lives in light of the grace and forgiveness You grant them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment