Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Little Boy Potty Humor


As I often do during Allie's nap, I began working out to an exercise video (Jillian Michael's) yesterday afternoon. 

The boys, like THEY often do, decided to join me. 

They changed into their tank-tops and exercise shorts and grabbed a few soup cans for weights.  Time to get RIPPED!  

About five minutes into the exercise routine, Jillian had us doing jump squats.  With their little boy voices, both Grayden and Cole proceeded to make a farting noise every time they bent down into their squat. 

They would bend down--cue the fart noise--and then throw their heads back in laughter on the way back up and out of the squat. 

I'll admit that their little boy laughter was contagious but being the respectable and classy mom that I am (wink, wink), I of course didn't join in and did ask that they cease the farting business.  

However, I found it hard not to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all.  Here I am sweating and giving the squats my all and Grayden & Cole are turning each squat into a pretend farting contest. 

Later in the afternoon we were sitting down to have school time.  Cole was putting 8 little chicken stickers onto his number book.  

Giggling quietly, he puts one little chicken sticker above another and says to Grayden, "Look, this chicken is pooping on the other chicken's head!"  Again, they both throw their heads back in little boy laughter because saying the word "poop" is just so funny, right?

At this point you might be laughing or maybe you're completely appalled and disgusted by my ill-mannered children.  Trust me, I have both of these reactions daily.  I ask myself all the time, "Where did they learn this stuff?" 

At this point you are also probably wondering why ON EARTH I'm even writing about this.

Well, recently I spent some time studying Ecclesiastes (I think I've mentioned this before) and while there were many messages to glean from this book there was one, in particular, I loved being reminded of. 

Ecclesiastes 11:8-9 says,
"However many years a man may live, let him enjoy them all.  But let him remember the days of darkness, for they will be many.  Everything to come is meaningless

Be happy, young man, while you are young and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth.  Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you to judgment."

There is this sweet reminder to enjoy life and live it to the fullest but a very wise caution to consider that all of life is meaningless set up against the reality of eternity with God BUT that when we are called to be happy and follow our hearts we must understand that the prospect of His divine praise or reproof actually makes every detail of life significant rather than meaningless. 

To know this gives wise direction to our heart and prudence to our eyes when determining what thrills of life we choose to enjoy.

So...what I hear is that God wants us to laugh and enjoy this life but not without considering Him.

I love that the boys laugh and enjoy each day (even if their fun is full of little boy potty humor).  Frankly, it's quite refreshing.  Too many adults are bitter and jaded, leaving no room for silly and laughable antics.  

I want the boys to make each other laugh. 
I want them to make every situation fun...even exercising. :) 

But, I don't want them to forget that ALL their actions in life are significant to their Creator and must be weighed on His moral scale.

I am guessing that at their immature age God is not too concerned by their "poop and fart" humor.  But they could easily cross the line from innocent, non-harmful humor to vindictive, destructive humor that is harmful to both themselves and to others. 

My prayer is that they seek God's wisdom when it comes to appropriate humor and that they maintain a healthy reverence to God and His will for HOW they find ways to enjoy life!  

Jesus,  Thank you for filling my house with little ones who love to laugh and have fun.  May they seek Your wisdom when it comes to determining the appropriateness of humor.  May their hearts give them joy in the days of their youth but may they always consider You when choosing what thrills of life to enjoy.  May they not forget that You make all things significant and that You bring all things under judgment.  So, I pray they would maintain a healthy reverence to You and Your will for HOW they find ways to enjoy life.    

No comments:

Post a Comment