Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A Glimpse Into The Praying Heart of Jesus

One of my favorite passages in Scripture is John 17.

It is a chapter in which we catch a glimpse into the praying heart of Jesus.

On several occasions, when lost for words, I've looked to this passage to aid and guide my praying.  I want to pray HOW Jesus prayed.  I want to pray WHAT Jesus prayed. 

So although it's only Wednesday, Jesus is guest blogging today!

One parenting dilemma that I am often at a loss for the right words to pray is sibling bickering and arguing.

I grow weary of listening to silly arguments between my sons that often result in groundless and often bitter divisions between them.

The arguments are usually ridiculous.  For example, the other day I witnessed an argument between them about who ate their cereal faster.  Stupid argument, am I right?

Yet, both the boys were angry and in tears at the end of it.
And between them grew a bitter division.  

Recently, I was praying asking God to protect their relationship from bitter division.

And at a loss for words, I turned to John 17.

The prayer of Jesus for ALL believers were the perfect words for me to pray.
 
John 17:20-23  The Message

I’m praying not only for them
[He had previously been praying for His disciples]
But also for those who will believe in me
Because of them and their witness about me.
The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind—
Just as you, Father, are in me and I in you,
So they might be one heart and mind with us.
Then the world might believe that you, in fact, sent me.
The same glory you gave me, I gave them,
So they’ll be as unified and together as we are
I in them and you in me.
Then they’ll be mature in this oneness,
And give the godless world evidence
That you’ve sent me and loved them

In the same way you’ve loved me.

What is Jesus emphasizing in this prayer?

The unity of believers.  A people united like Father God & Son.  A people of one mind and one heart deeply devoted to Christ.

Why?

Because a unified church is evidence of Jesus and His Gospel of Love.

Jesus is concerned for the unity of the believers because He understands that bitter divisions between them will hurt, if not completely stifle, their witness. 

Thus, I began to pray for my sons.

I prayed that like Father God & Son, they would be unified together. 

I prayed for a unity of one heart and one mind devoted to Jesus; a mature oneness founded on Jesus.

And I prayed for a unity that would give this godless world evidence of Jesus' gospel of love. 

I'm so very thankful for John 17 and its sweet glimpse into the praying heart of Jesus.  And I'm encouraged that division between His children was a concern for Jesus as well.

Join me and let's pray the words of Jesus over our children today:

Jesus,
My praying heart is YOURS today.  I pray that like You & Father God, my children would be unified together.  I pray for unity of one heart and one mind completely devoted to You.   A devotion that will motivate acts of kindness and humility between them.  A devotion that will inspire forgiving hearts toward each other.  A devotion that will result in peace-loving spoken words.  And I pray that this unified devotion to YOU would result in a mature oneness that gives this godless world SOLID evidence of You and Your gospel.  I pray their relationship would testify of and reflect Your loving, gracious, and forgiving heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment