Monday, July 15, 2013

A Wise Rhythm of Work & Rest

Over the weekend, I took a little road trip by myself.   The purpose of the trip was twofold:  To visit 3 dear, old friends & to seek God.

It was a spontaneous trip that I conjured up Friday morning and pitched to Keith around lunch time. 

I knew I just needed some time away.

I needed refreshing.

I needed rest.

I needed a little peace and quiet.

I needed God.

Keith gave me his blessing.

So when he came home from work Friday evening, I grabbed the small bag I had packed, picked out a few of my favorite music cd's, and jumped in the car.

I was gone a total of 25 hours.

It was short BUT it was incredibly refreshing, restful, quiet (minus my jam fest in the car), and rejuvenating.

And in the rest and quiet, God breathed life into my weary soul.


He lovingly pursued me.

He exposed areas of darkness.

He changed my perspective on a few things that I was seeing from the wrong angle.

He refueled my mom-tank.

And He gave me a renewed tenderness toward those I love most.

It was a wonderful trip.

The bottom line is that time away, no matter how brief, is good.

Take Jesus for example.

While on this earth, His ministry was ALL CONSUMING.  Every step He took and everywhere he looked, He was needed.  He gave, gave, gave to those around Him day in and day out.  Crowds of people followed Him...men, women, children; the rich, the poor, the sick, the skeptics, the desperate, the sinners, and the faithful disciples.

He understood the need for time away.

After the miraculous feeding of the five thousand, “immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of Him to the other side, while He dismissed the crowd. After He had dismissed them, He went up on a mountainside by Himself to pray. When evening came, He was there alone(Matt.14:22-23).

“The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to Him all they had done and taught. Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, He said to them, ‘Come with Me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.’ So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place (Mk. 6:30-32).

When He arrived on the Mount of Olives the night of His betrayal, “He withdrew about a stone’s throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed” (Lk. 22:41).

Jesus retreated for brief moments of rest and quiet often throughout His ministry. And much of that time He spent praying and seeking God for whatever rest and help He needed.

We must learn from His example.

Especially when it comes to serving, teaching, and caring for the children in our lives.  We NEED brief periods of time away from them to rest and renew our hearts & minds.

For it is often in these period of time away where God speaks the clearest, where He sifts out the ugly, where He refines our focus, and where He tenderly molds us to His will and character.

Just like Jesus, we need restful time away with our God.

This is a lesson and truth I long for my children to know as well.

That when they are weary and in need of refreshing it is BEST to take time away to rest and refuel.  Time away that is centered around Jesus.

So join me and let's pray:

Jesus, Thank you for leading by example and underlining the need for brief periods of rest and renewal.  Today I pray that my children will live their lives in a wise rhythm of work and rest.  I pray that when they find themselves weary, confused, or tangled up that they would take time away to rest and seek You.  I pray they would understand that only You can refresh and renew their soul and body; that there is no other pleasures or vacations in life that will bring such a whole and complete rejuvenation.









2 comments:

  1. that sounds wonderful! kudos to Keith for supporting it and to you for taking the initiative! glad it was productive and you found what (and Who!) you were seeking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And Yes, definitely kudos to Keith.

    ReplyDelete