Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Gloating

I cringe when I see one of my boys smirk or smile slightly when they have gotten the other one in trouble.

I am greatly concerned when they seem to delight in each others failures or mistakes.

I can't stand to see them gloat or rejoice when the other is caught in sin.

In these despicable moments, there is this ugly, ugly mountain of pride that is impossible not to see. 

Scripture teaches,
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice, or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from him." [Proverbs 24:17-18]

Wait, what? 

Based on these verses, God is MORE disgusted with prideful gloating than the other man's sin. 

That says something...God completely disapproves when we savor and delight in another's downfall.

My boys aren't enemies.  I know they care for and love each other.  But, they still fall prey to prideful gloating when the other stumbles or makes mistakes.  

So, join me in prayer today and let's ask the Lord to change our children's gloating hearts to hearts of humility and compassion.

Jesus, I pray that my children would NOT find pleasure in another's downfall, but rather that they would humbly recognize that they too are sinners and are in desperate need of Jesus' forgiveness and grace.  I pray You would change their gloating heart into a heart full of humility and compassion.  I pray they would spur one another on toward righteousness and only rejoice when the other is faithful to obey God. 





No comments:

Post a Comment