Wednesday, July 17, 2013

GUEST BLOG: God Meets Every Need

On Mother's Day, Keith tricked me into guest blogging.  I am now wise to his sneaky ways and UP FRONT said that there would be no special blog on my birthday.  I came home last night from Bible Study and discovered he was not obedient. 
 
It literally pains me to post this because I'm really not crying out for attention on my birthday.  But my sweet husband spent the time to write it and I know he means well.  Plus, I love hearing his praying heart.  So ignore all the mushy, birthday comments and let God's truth concerning your children wash over you.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
written by Keith
 
Renee has again been gracious enough to allow me to guest post this morning.  I requested today in order to dedicate today’s post to Renee on her birthday.  Otherwise, she likely would have gone without mentioning her special day.
If you have followed Renee’s blog over the last seven months, you have undoubtedly learned a little bit about our relationship and family. 
 
However, what you probably did not know is that I have had a crush on Renee since we were in the second grade (to this day Renee pretends this is untrue).Of course, as elementary school crushes go, I thought Renee was “cute,” “fun at recess” and, oh yeah, “cute.” 
 
Fortunately I have matured a little since second grade (Renee may also sometimes beg to differ on this point), and can now appreciate many of the more important qualities that she possesses. 
 
In particular, I have been struck by her sensitivity to the physical, mental, social and most importantly, spiritual needs of our children.  Perhaps it is a mother-thing, but she is keenly in tune to the needs of our children. 
 
When our children are sick, she provides comfort in a way only she can. 
When our children have questions, she provides answers in a way that they can understand. 
When our children are scared, she is able to calm their uneasiness.
When our children are excited, she is able to celebrate with them.
 
But as amazing as it is to see a mother’s love for her children, her wing can only reach so far in her children’s lives.  Our children will have needs that no earthly parent can meet.  There are corners in our children’s lives that we cannot reach. 
 
BUT OUR HEAVENLY FATHER CAN.
In Matthew 6:8, Jesus tells us that our heavenly Father knows what you need before you ask him.” 
 
Later in Matthew 6:25-34, Jesus reminds us not to worry.  Indeed, Jesus says, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?” 
 
 
God knows what our children need before our children know it and before we know it.  And He can satisfy our children’s needs and desires with more excellent things than we can provide. 
 
He can also satisfy the needs and desires of weary adults –
Psalm 103:2a, 5 “Praise the Lord, O my soul, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.” 
 
In fact, scripture says God knew our children before they were even formed in the womb.  Jeremiah 1:4. 
 
These truths should give us comfort when we feel like we are inadequate to meet all of the deep and ever-changing needs of our children. 
These truths should also bring us to our knees in a prayer of thanks and in a prayer of dedication of our children as we recognize our own limitations with respect to our children. 
Jesus, I thank you for your constant provision in my life and in the life of my children.  You have met our needs long before we even recognized that we had them.  Jesus, I pray that as a parent I would trust in your Word that says you know my children, you know their needs, you value them and you can and do satisfy their needs with good things.  I also pray that my children would recognize Your provision in their lives and give thanks.

2 comments:

  1. wonderfully written, Keith. and hope you have a wonderful, ahem, birthday, Renee. Wish we could live closer to one another and be able to have these type of conversations face to face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. I definitely, positively miss your sweet spirit and wise heart. But...I get a little glimpse of you each time I read YOUR blog. As always, thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete