Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Handling Disappointment

Often it is how we handle disappointment when our true colors come out.

Our sincere trust in God can be measured through disappointment.

If our level of hope depletes in disappointment, a shaky faith is exposed.

For the past few weeks, the kids fought through a cruddy virus involving two days of fever and a subsequent rash for a few more days.  The virus hit us like a domino effect.  First, Grayden.  Then, Allie.  And finally, Cole-Man.


Cole happened to have it the week he and Grayden were suppose to attend Vacation Bible School.

So, for several days he had to watch Grayden drive away to VBS with my neighbor and her kids (her son happens to be one of Cole's best friends). 

The first day he stood at a distance and watched an excited Grayden hop in their van and say hello to his friends.  As they drove away I saw the tears forming in his eyes

He was so sad. 

And with his little four year old voice he whimpered,
"I want to go to VBS too."

I held him close, let him cry, and told him I understood his disappointment.

Every day he watched Grayden go to VBS.
And every day he was disappointed.

BUT, he showed strength.

Each day he had his moment of disappointment be it tears or general sadness...but he never allowed those moments to taint the rest of his day.  He still laughed (when medicated and not fevering), he still joyfully enjoyed his trains, and he still wanted to hear about Grayden's time at VBS.

I was so proud of how he handled his disappointment.
He responded with honest emotions but always had hope for a good day regardless of his missing VBS.

Friends, I don't always handle disappointment well.
It can shatter my joy and expose a shaky hope & trust in God.

And disappointment that is not handled well can effect all areas of my life...especially my relationship with God.

A verse I have often prayed for myself or given to someone who is experiencing disappointment is in Romans 15:13

It reads,

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

As I apply this verse to disappointment I hear that my God is a God of hope who can fill my disappointed heart with ALL joy and peace. All I need to do is put my trust in Him...fall into His loving arms and let Him be God in my circumstance.  He then fills me with joy and peace so that my hope is never depleted, but rather overflowing.  And this is all accomplished by His Spirit who empowers me. 

On this particular occasion, Cole handled disappointment well.  But he is only 4.  There will undoubtedly be countless disappointments in his life.

And so I feel led to pray this verse over him and all my children as they experience disappointment. 

Won't you join me because there is NO question that your children will be faced with disappointment as well.

Jesus,
As my children face disappointment in life I pray they will trust you to be God over all their circumstances.  May disappointment never shatter their joy or deplete their hope in You. I pray they would fall into your loving, comforting, and safe arms.  And may You, the God of hope, fill them with all joy and peace as they trust You in disappointment, so that they may overflow with hope by the power of Your Spirit working in and through them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment