Thursday, July 18, 2013

Limitless God

You know the saying, "I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today."

Meaning...
I'm just not myself today.
I'm off.
I'm tired. confused. frustrated.
I'm sort of a ticking time bomb.

As limited human beings it is incredibly easy to feel this way, even within minutes of waking up.

Our tanks get empty. 
Our flesh wins battles. 
Our minds need answers. 
And our hearts lack love.

We are limited.

But God has no limits

His tank overflows.
His wisdom is complete.
There are no bounds to His love. 
He is forever pure and holy.
He has no kryptonite.
He never wakes up on the wrong side of the bed AND never has an off day.

My kids know within the first hour of the morning whether mom woke up on the right or wrong side of the bed.  It is usually hard not to notice.  And for me, it is usually hard to hide it.

Years ago I went to a women's event at church and one of the speakers shared with us her daily, morning prayer.  It was a combination of words she put together for the exact purpose of avoiding a "wrong side of the bed" kind-of day.

The essence of the prayer was rooted in the truth that every morning we are limited AND that every morning we need help from our limitless God.

1 Peter 1:3 speaks to this:

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness."

When our day begins and we are well aware of our limitations, God can give us ALL that we need to not just endure our day, but to thrive and fulfill His will for it.

I memorized the speakers prayer and often pray her exact words first thing in the morning...especially on those "wrong side of the bed" days

I was inspired a few days ago that I need to teach my children the words to this prayer because they need my limitless God just as much as I do. 

They have "wrong side of the bed" days in which they wake up cranky, irritable, defiant, argumentative, frustrated, confused, and just plain tired. 

And I know and understand the exact struggle they are having...they are limited and they NEED a little, no a BIG, dose of their limitless God.



Join me and memorize the words to the following prayer and let's teach our children its words as well:

Almighty and Eternal God,
so draw my heart to you,
so guide my mind,
so fill my imagination,
so control my will,
that I might be completely devoted to you. 
Then, use me as you will,
and always to Your glory
and to the welfare of Your people. 
Through my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment