Tuesday, July 2, 2013

TV Commercials


No doubt about it...kids love TV.
And they learn A TON from what they see and hear.

While I have certain issues with the quality and quantity of TV shows viewed by this young generation...I take greater issue with the commercials.

Good gracious. Maybe I'm one of those uncool parents, but any time my children are actually allowed to watch live TV you better believe I'm right there (remote-in-hand) ready to mute or change the channel when the commercials begin.

Sure there are a handful of innocent commercials. Some witty and humorous. Others informative and inspiring.

But I find too many of them to be innappropriate for the eyes and ears of the little people in my life (and probably mine as well).

 And the whole, "we don't air the commercials with the adult content until after 9" pledge is crap.

There are inappropriate commercials slipped in any time of day. And many of the commercials deemed "appropriate" push the envelope, slyly (yet purposely) crossing lines left and right. Frankly, even some of the commercials aimed at kids I find offensive and inappropriate.

I get capitalism.
I get business.
I get advertising.

But I don't get why commercials have to be sexualized, violent, and crude to sell products. Or why they glorify greed and vanity.

It is rare when I actually view a witty, smart, and creative commercial without any of that other questionable junk. If you are like me, you find these rare commercials refreshing and actually, dare I say, entertaining.

BUT...so many of the commercials aired today are NOT simply witty or smart or creative. They all fall prey to the motto, "sex, violence, greed, and vanity SELLS!"

And maybe it does...but my little guys have a right to an actual childhood where they aren't brainwashed and branded to be violent, sex-crazed, and shamelessly greedy.

Likewise, my little girl shouldn't be manipulated to accept that she is an object. She shouldn't be obsessed with vanity; overly focused on what she is wearing and whether it makes her look sexy, thin, or trendy.

And no child should be manipulated to feel like he/she needs MORE name-brand stuff to be happy, content, and popular.

The following list highlights my personal issues with the nature of today's commercials.

They brainwash.
They manipulate.
They breed discontent hearts and minds.
They spark envy.
They promote self-righteous attitudes and behaviors.
They cultivate greed.
They idolize fame.
They objectify women and young girls.
They further completely ridiculous stereotypes.
They exalt physical beauty above all things.
They encourage idolatry.
They solidify the ME, NOT YOU mentality.

I could keep going but you get my point.

As I think about how we can begin to pray for our children regarding this issue I am first drawn to pray protection over their little eyes and ears.

And then I am drawn to pray for the self-control and wisdom they will need to guard their little eyes and ears from those images on TV that are inappropriate and full of falsehood.

Psalm 101:3 says,

"I will set before my eyes no vile thing."

Likewise, Proverbs 4:20-27 says,

"My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart;
for they are life to those who find them and health to a man's whole body. Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm. Do not swerve to the right or the left; keep your foot from evil."

With these verses in mind, let's pray together for our children:

Jesus,

The influence television will have on my children concerns me greatly. Will you grant me the wisdom to know how to best protect them from those images that flaunt and glorify violence, sex, greed, crude speech & behavior, and obsession with vanity. I pray you would grant my kids the wisdom and self-control needed to shut their eyes so as to not look upon evil. I pray they would learn to guard their hearts from images of evil and falsehood. I pray they would fix their gaze directly before You and avoid those images that would cause their feet to swerve to the right or to the left. And I pray that TV would not become an idol in their lives that sets itself up against their knowledge of You. May they watch with discerning minds and hearts focused on bringing you glory.

 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree Renee. It disgusts me sometimes. Netflix and PBS are about the only things my kids watch for this very reason. A very important thing to pray over our kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love PBS!!! Usually safe.

    ReplyDelete