Monday, August 26, 2013

Catching A Glimpse Into God's Heart for Others

At the end of our church service yesterday, while singing and worshipping to a few final songs, there was a little 2 year old boy standing in the aisle next to me.  I did not know him or his parents.  He had curly, short brown hair with beautiful blue eyes.  He was wearing a superman shirt with some Toms shoes.  He was stylin' and as cute as can be.

He looked a lot like this little guy
I watched him bounce up and down and slap his hands on his knee to the beat of the music.  He was smiling and thoroughly enjoying himself.  Slowly, as if drawn, he began inching forward down the center aisle toward the front...where the music was louder and the worship band was easier to see.  He continued his rhythm and dance to the music as he walked. 

As I watched this little boy, the words to the song we were singing began to stir up real emotions for me.  And not for myself, but for this little boy whose name I didn't know.

"His love is deep, His love is wide
And it covers us.
His love is fierce, His love is strong
It's furious.
His love is sweet, His love is wild
And it's waking hearts to life."


Since starting this blog the Lord has, in a new and great way, enabled me to see His desire for the hearts of children.  His desire to know them. His desire to LOVE them. 

There have been a handful  of occasions where I've seen a child, many of which I did not know, and felt so incredible drawn to pray for them.  And in most of these circumstances, I became emotionally moved as I prayed and as I saw God's heart for them...in a sweet, gentle, and very real way.
 
Similarly yesterday morning, my heart became drawn to pray for this boy.  Tears began rolling down my cheeks as I prayed that God's... 
deep 
wide
fierce
strong
furious
sweet
& wild
LOVE would cover him and WAKE his heart to life!

As he inched forward toward the front I was reminded of the words of Jesus,  "Let the little children come to me!" [Matthew 19:14] 

And I prayed that he would; and that he wouldn't just inch his way toward Him, but that he would RUN.

Friends,  I share this story because I am in awe of how God moves in my heart for children. 

As I've prayed for my own children, He's done this GREAT thing and given me a heart for more and more children. God becomes crazy real to me in these moments where He unexpectedly stirs my emotions for another child other than my own...because I know it isn't something I could conjure up on my own. I'm so consumed and emotionally invested in my own children that I've often neglected praying for other children. But I love when God breaks through and gives me a heart for children that don't share my genes.

THIS is what I want for my kids.  I want God, through His Spirit, to give them a glimpse into His heart for those around them.  A glimpse that moves them emotionally and stirs them into prayerful action.  Especially for those who aren't part of their family or whom they wouldn't naturally be drawn to. 

Maybe for a kid at school who is different from them,
maybe for a teacher they aren't particularly fond of,
maybe for a child who is sick,
maybe for a bully,
maybe for a celebrity,
maybe for a athlete,
or maybe for a perfect stranger.

If, and when, our children experience "God moments" like these where they are emotionally moved to pray for someone...I know that God, in those moments, will become even more and more real to them.

So will you join me in prayer,

Jesus, Thank You for those God moments where You give me a special glimpse into Your loving heart for another child other than my own.  May my heart always be open to Your Spirit's drawing in this.  And may I respond faithfully in prayer.

I also pray for my own children today.  I pray that You would begin to stir within their hearts.  Would you give them some of these God moments in which they receive a glimpse into Your love and desire for others, especially for those they wouldn't naturally be emotionally drawn to.  I pray that in these God moments they would faithfully pray for whomever it is You've emotionally drawn them to.  And help me to set an example for them in this by inviting them to join me as I pray for other children. 









No comments:

Post a Comment