Monday, August 12, 2013

Craving & Hungering After Jesus

In our family, bananas are a staple.
All five of us eat one every single morning.
We buy around 35 bananas a week.

To watch us pack bunches of bananas into our grocery cart every week, you'd think there were a bunch of monkeys living in our house.

My obsession with and need for a banana every day started when I became a runner in college.  I needed the potassium.  Bananas are what I like to call, "Runner's Food."  There are also other countless health benefits bananas have to offer.

I've transferred my banana obsession to ALL of my children and even my husband Keith.  The first thing they eat every morning is a banana.


Much to our dismay, we woke up this morning to NO BANANAS. 

I realized this at 6:15 this morning as I laid in bed trying to will myself to get up.  I instantly became a little stressed thinking about how on earth I would replace this breakfast staple.

If only I had a banana tree outside my window...

To you it probably seems silly that I would even fret over such a silly thing.  But we hunger for bananas when we wake up in the morning and to not be able to satisfy that hunger throws off our day.

As I laid in bed considering how I might solve this bananaless problem, God nearly smacked me upside the head with one of those "teachable lessons" for me and for my kids.

THE LESSON:

A bananaless breakfast leave us hungry and longing for something more.  And it throws off our nutritional balance so no matter how much or even what food we replace it with, our bodies still crave it.

The same should be true for our time spent with God.  A "Godless" day in which we never stop and fill up on Him leaves us hungry and longing for something more.  When we do not partake of His goodness and wisdom it throws off our spiritual balance.  And no amount of self-righteous goodness or worldy wisdom that we try to replace it with will ever satisfy our craving.

"He who is full loathes honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet." Proverbs 27:7

When we fill up on God, we will loathe what the world has to offer.  But when the business of the day distracts us from feasting on His Word and spending time in His presence, even worldly, bitter food seems sweet.  Yet, it's nourishment is temporary...like a 5 hour energy drink.  We might perk up and survive for a little while, but eventually our tanks will run dry and we will be hungry yet again.

Filling up on God is a totally different, and much better, story.

Psalm 107:8-9 reads,
"Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he satsifies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."

God satisfies with good things.  No "good thing" this world has to offer can ever satsify like He does.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:6,
"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

To daily hunger after God's heart and will for our lives, leaves us FULL...content and satisfied with plenty left-over for those unexpected trials throughout the day that require extra fuel.

So this morning as the kids and I sit around the breakfast table craving our bananas, I plan to use the opportunity to talk about the importance of craving after and filling up on Jesus every day.

Join me in prayer today,

Lord Jesus, I pray that my children would cling to Your promise that when they hunger after You and Your righteousness that You will fill them up with good things.  And may they trust that those good things will fully satisfy and give them all the spiritual balance and nutrition they need to walk with and serve You on a daily basis.  I pray that they will learn very quickly that nothing this world has to offer, no matter how sweet it might seem in a state of desperate hunger, will ever satisfy like You do. 









1 comment:

  1. awesome! i think it's time for you to plant a banana tree! Keith??? :-)

    ReplyDelete