Monday, September 16, 2013

A Parent's Hopeful Prayer

I tucked my kids in last night wishing I could find the words to articulate to them how much joy they bring me. 

That no matter how much "trouble" the day brings...

relentless discipline
constant clean up
bogus bickering
or ridiculous whining...

I have an unwavering joy BECAUSE of them.

THEY have my full heart.

And nothing they could ever do will change that.

My hope is that God will give me the words and show me the actions to firmly communicate to them on a daily basis how special they are to me.


And that no matter what parenting choices God requires of me, that they would always make room for me in their hearts. 

That no matter what discipline actions God guides me to take, that they would always make room for me in their hearts

That no matter what life experiences or friendships come into their lives, that they would always make room for me in their hearts.

2 Corinthians 7:2a,4 is exactly my heart's cry:

"Make room for (me) in your hearts...I have great confidence in you; I take great pride in you.  I am greatly encouraged; in all our troubles my joy knows no bounds."

We love our children.
We have great confidence in them.
We take great pride in them.
We are greatly encouraged by them.
They bring us joy that knows no bounds.

So today's prayer is a little selfish, but let's pray they always make room for us in their hearts.

Jesus,
I have no words to articulate how thankful I am to You for my children.  Yet, I know You understand the love I have for them and the joy they bring me.  Give me the words to say & show me the actions I can take to communicate to them how special they are to me and how much joy I have because of them.  My prayer is that they would find strength and feel deeply loved by the great pride and confidence I have in them.  And that they would understand how much encouragement and joy they bring me AND thus, will always make room for me in their hearts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment