Tuesday, September 3, 2013

God Hears Our Prayers & Answers Us

He did it!

After countless days of summer swimming, Cole finally got the courage to swim in the water with the "bubble" (which is equivalent to arm swimmies).

You must understand that this was a HUGE deal.
All summer long, Cole has sat on the sidelines and watched his brother and younger cousin swim like fish all around my parents pool.  They've jumped off the diving board.  They've slid down the slide.  They've swam in the deep end.  They've laughed and played. 
And Cole just watched.

We desperately tried to get him to wear the swim bubble (like his cousin) so that he could join their fun...but he refused.  Over and over again he refused.  He was scared and he was stubborn.

And then yesterday, on the very last day of summer swimming at Nana & Grandad's house...he decided to do it!  Something just clicked or perhaps, snapped inside of him and he became filled with courage.

And I know that something was Jesus.

You see, for the last few weeks I came to the Lord in prayer about ColeI was frustrated with his stubborn attitude and lack of courage about trying anything new or slightly difficult. 

And so I cried out to the LORD
I asked for patience as I waited for Cole to mature. 
I also asked the LORD to show me progress in Cole; I longed to see growth in him. 
I asked for a sign to remind my weary heart that God was in fact, molding and growing our little Cole-man. 

So when I watched Cole swimming all around my parents pool, smiling from ear to ear...jumping off the diving board...sliding down the slide...and joining his brother and cousin in laughter, I knew God had answered my prayer.  I began praising Him in my spirit for this beautiful sign of growth in Cole

Friends, it is easy to grow weary and frustrated with our children's lack of growth.  But just as the Scripture says,

"I cry aloud to the LORD...I pour out my complaint before him; before him I tell my trouble.  When my spirit grows faint within me, it is you who know my way." 
Psalm 142:1-3a

OR
 
"I call on the LORD in my distress, and he answers me." 
Psalms 120:1
 
OR
 
"O Lord, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief." 
Psalm 143:1

I've prayed and prayed for Cole this summer.
I've called to the LORD in distress over him.
I've poured out my complaints about him.
I've asked the LORD to come to my relief and to hear my prayer regarding Cole's stubbornness and fear.
And He heard my prayer and He answered me.

This morning, I...
"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. 
[For] His love endures forever."  Psalm 136:1

Today, let's remember that...
God has our children in the palm of His hand.
He is working in their lives.
And so we must never cease crying out in prayer over them because He hears us and will answer us.

Join me in prayer,

Jesus, I thank you for the beautiful sign of growth in Cole yesterday!  I thank You that I can come to You in parenting distress; that with a faint spirit I can pour out my complaints to You and that You will hear me and answer me.  May my children also grow to understand that Your ears are attentive to their prayer and that You, in your faithfulness and righteousness, long to come to their relief.  When they are tired and weary over something, may they cry aloud to You and receive strength in Your answer!



No comments:

Post a Comment