Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Silencing the Skeptics

I know that I have friends, family, and acquaintances who think this blog is a meaningless waste of my time. Most of these skeptics don't know Jesus.  And without a relationship with Jesus, I'd feel the same way they do.  

Yet it is because of my relationship with Jesus that I write this blog and that I am not discouraged by their skepticism.
  
There are Jesus skeptics all around us.

People who doubt He is the Divine Son of God.

People who will not tolerate Him to be the one, true and living God.

People who consider Him a great historical figure but nothing more.

People who believe Him to be the figurehead of the Christian "cult" whose name is used to control and manipulate millions of people all over the world. 

People who laugh at and mock believers like me who claim to be His followers; calling us ignorant, naive, gullable, and weak minded.

If and when our children sift through all the beliefs this world has to offer and decide to follow Jesus, they will undoubtedly also encounter these skeptics...and quite often I'm afraid.

Their faith will be challenged over and over again.

So, how can we prepare them for this?
In all honesty, WE cannot.
But THEY can prepare themselves.

If they seek and search for Jesus like hidden treasure,

if they study His life and words with a fine toothed comb,

and if they talk to Him openly and honestly about anything and everything...

THEN they will be well-equipped for any and every skepticBecause no skeptic (no matter how intellectually brilliant) can ever belittle or disprove their active and living relationship with Jesus.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the the story of Jesus talking with the Samaritan woman at the well.  However, today I'd like to look at the second half of that story and connect it to today's prayer:

John 4:39-42

"Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman's testimony, "He told me everything I ever did."  So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed for two days.  And because of his words many more became believers

They said to the woman, "We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world."

It could have been easy for the Samaritans to have been skeptical about the woman's testimony.  However, their personal encounter with Jesus erased whatever skepticism they may have had.  Through relationship with Him, they firmly believed!

I am like the woman at the well.  Jesus met me where I was (a hopeless sinner) , breathed living truth into my soul through forgiveness & grace, and then changed me from the inside, out.  And I've been in a relationship with Him ever since. 

To my children, I am like the woman at the well who went back to her family and friends and told them all about Jesus.  I cannot help but tell them what Jesus has and is continuing to do for me.  The peace and joy I receive in relationship with Him is something I cannot keep quiet about.  And to some extent, they believe in Him because of my testimony.

Yet like the Samaritans, their story and relationship with Jesus must not end with my testimony.  They must seek Him themselves, spend time studying His life and words, continually talk to Him about anything and everything.  As they personally encounter Him, THEY will firmly know that He really is the Savior of the world.  And the skeptics will be silenced.

Join me today and let's pray that our children have a living and active relationship with Jesus that silences the skeptics.

Jesus,
I pray my children's faith in You would not be shaken by the skeptics in this world.  I pray they would not get caught up in silly and pretentious arguments that set themselves up against the knowledge of You.  Rather, I pray they would combat skepticism by fervently seeking a living and active relationship with You.  May their time with You and the study of Your life and words solidify that You truly are the Savior of this world.

















2 comments:

  1. Dear Renee, This morning, I stopped to read your blog in the midst of my Bible study (a new twist on multi-tasking:)) Anyway, I had read Zechariah 1 and was browsing at a commentary (Smith) One of the points were the meaning of the names (Zech's, his father's, and his grandfather's) God Remembers, God Blesses, At the appointed time. Significant to the time and times and significant to again be reminded that each and every word our Father speaks has importance for us.
    Thank you for your obedience and letting Him guide you in your words.
    With you in prayer.
    Connie Hursey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing everything He says has significance is awe-inspiring. Thanks for the encouragement Connie. You should guest blog sometime. I'd love to hear your praying heart.

    ReplyDelete