Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Dangerous Dabbling

I begin by apologizing for the inappropriate, embarassing, and vile topic for this post: Poop

However, I choose to believe that most of you reading have had your own unpleasant experiences with the "P" word and thus, you've grown slightly immune to its foulness and frankly used to talking about it.  For the rest of you, bear with me because I do have a point. 

While busy doing lunch dishes yesterday, my ears were horrified at the sound of little boys chanting:

"Poop on her!"  Poop on her!"  "Poop on her!"

I raced to "her" rescue only to find all three of my kids in the bathroom:

Grayden sitting on the john going #2 while chanting.

Cole sitting on top of Allie (clothed, thank God) while chanting.

Allie laughing, completely ignorant of what her brothers were plotting to do to her.

Thankfully, they were "just joking." 
I cannot even imagine the scene had they not been.

Regardless, I am just bewildered at my boys' obsession with "P".

They have no respect for its vile nature. 
No understanding of its power to make them sick (if handled or used inappropriately). 
Only recently has Grayden even recognized the foul smell it has.

To them, it's interesting (as though it were a toy), hilarious (perfect joke material), and really fun to talk about.

Sadly enough, Allie is guilty of underestimating "P" too.  While changing her diaper, she is constantly trying to grab down there.  I say "yucky, yucky" and she...wait for it...giggles.  Good grief.

Keith once found "P" smeared all over the bedroom wall.  An 18 month Grayden had pulled a messy diaper out of the garbage and decided it would be fun to color the wall with it.  The best part of this story is that Keith didn't actually find the artwork until hours later.  Dry & crusted, my friends.  Nasty.

But like most things parents experience, our "P" word adventures CAN teach us something.

We do not always innately know the dangers of that which we dabble in and with.
 
So sometimes we need to be educated, informed, and taught.

When you look back on mistakes and foolish choices you've made, were you dabbling in something that at the time you were completely ignorant to its vile, dangerous nature? 

Perhaps you didn't see it for the evil that it was. 
Perhaps you were naive to how spiritually sick it could make you.  It was interesting, maybe even hilarious, and really fun to do or talk about.
So you dabbled
And thus you became spiritually tainted and sick.

I have an example of this in my own life.
I used to read some of those girly magazines (the ones showcased in the grocery checkout lane).  It was a guilty pleasure of mine.
Seemingly innocent, I was completely ignorant of the vile effect they began to have on my spiritual mind.

I would read the magazines and become insecure about who I was. 
The advice stirred up trouble for me in relationships. 
I grew discontent with my material possessions. 
I obsessed over the lives of people who were perfect strangers and with whom I didn't share the same beliefs and opinions. 

Bottom Line: The words and stories written fueled sin in my life. 

For me personally, these magazines tainted my relationship with God and caused me to become spiritually sick with symptoms of anger, jealousy, bitterness, vanity, idolatry, greed, and lust.  Had I leaned in and taken a closer whiff, I might have noticed the foul smell seeping from them.

Here's the crazy truth:  For awhile, I was completely unaware of the negative effect they were having on me.  Eventually, however, each time I dabbled, I began to notice changes in my mind and heart.  New problems and challenges arose in my life and in my relationships that I couldn't understand or explain.  And then one day...BAM I made the connection.  The Holy Spirit opened my eyes and made me wise to the problem (John 14:26): the vile words were fueling and feeding my sinful nature.

So I cold turkey stopped reading them.
And their vile nature, foul stench, and disease ridden words no longer had power over me.
This occurred about five years ago and I still to this day avoid these magazines at all costs.
And I am so much better off because of it.
Thanks to the Spirit's counsel, I AM educated and informed.
My spiritual senses are heightened and much, much wiser.

While dabbling in or with the "P" word won't necessarily make my children spiritual sick, it does remind me that there will be tons of vile, foul, and disease ridden things they will be tempted to dabble with in life that WILL make them spiritually sick.  And many times they may not even be aware of how dangerous they are until they've already gotten their hands dirty. 

So I feel impressed to pray that they would begin to recognize, listen to, and seek out the Spirit's counsel.  Specifically that they would STOP and seek counsel at the first thought of dabbling by checking their behavior against God's Word.

For Jesus promised:
"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." John 14:26

Let's also take the words the LORD spoke to Cain and apply them to our prayer:

6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.Genesis 4:6-7

Let's pray!

Jesus, today I pray that before my children dabble in new things they would stop and seek Your Spirit's counsel.  May they grow wise to and aware of those things that are vile in nature; to those sins that are crouching at their door.  I pray You would educate, inform, and teach them about those behaviors which will lead them down a dangerous path.  May they respect and desire righteousness in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment