Wednesday, October 23, 2013

CAMBODIA: Loving & Caring for the "Least of These"


How can I teach my kids to have empathy and compassion for those children across the world who have very little? 

This is a question I've asked myself so many times over the years.

Especially when I sense and see my children display a spirit of entitlement about what they expect to have and what they expect they should get to do.

Especially when their hearts are ungrateful.  Complaining about what's set before them at dinner.  Grumbling about the abundant clothing hanging in their closets.  Whining about being bored with their fully stocked toy shelves.

As I've driven around this country of Cambodia and seen what the children & many orphans here have, in my heart I've begun to desperately cry out to God that my children would be granted the revelation I have received of just how great they have it and would live life with hearts of gratitude.

Even more, I am praying that as they see & hear about my time here in Cambodia that their hearts would be drawn to the children and orphans here.  That they would care deeply and be completely disheartened in seeing the economic disadvantage these Cambodian kids live with on a daily basis.  AND that they would be compelled to help kids like them who have great need.

KIDS JUST LIKE THEM.

Kids who laugh & play.



Kids who sing & dance AND play UNO.

 
Kids who loves sports. 
 
 
Kids who want to learn. 


Kids who want to be loved, cared, and provided for. 


 

BUT KIDS WHO ARE IN GREAT NEED.
 
Kids who live in houses such as these with brown drinking water.


Kids who live & sleep next to filth and garbage. 


Kids who are without a mom or dad. 


Kids who desperately need food & clothing.


Jesus cared deeply for the poor while on this earth.  And He still does. 

In Matthew 25:31-46 He gives His expectations for us in regards to how we are to treat those in need.  Would you take the time to read this passage of Scripture with me?

The Sheep and the Goats

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?

38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

Scripture is clear:  Jesus expects us to care for those in need.  And His expectation isn't an "if you feel like it kind of thing."  It's an absolute, "I'm dead serious," without a doubt kind of expectation.

And I believe there is no better place to start with our kids than to help & encourage them to care for OTHER kids.  Those close to home and those across the world.

Will you join me today and pray that God breaks the hearts of our children for the children across the world who are in great need...that our children will be a generation that love Jesus so sincerely that they would care for the "least of these."
 
Jesus,
 
Your love runs deep for the children of the world.  They are precious in your sight.  I pray you would open the hearts of my children and give them Your love for those children across the world who are in great need.  I pray they would have sincere hearts for the least of these.  And would that love & sincerity compel them to HELP; drive them toward good deeds.  Deeds that provide care, clothing, food, water, education & demonstrate and proclaim the Hope of Jesus. 
 
And may ALL of us see the needs of others as an opportunity to be the hands & feet of Jesus to this world!

1 comment:

  1. Renee, it looks like you are having an amazing experience!
    -Charity Rettenberger

    ReplyDelete