Friday, October 11, 2013

Lying Lips

You know what I love about young preschoolers?

They are honest.

"Mommy, I hit my friend."
"Mommy, I did not share with that girl."

Sometimes brutally honest.

"Mommy, your breath smells funny."

Their no-holds-bar honesty is rather refreshing, really.
They don't play games or manipulate with falsehoods.
It is as though they are not even aware there's the option to lie.

Until one day, and one lie....and they've figured it out.
And everything changes.

I can remember when I first caught Grayden in a lie.  Honestly, I did not see it coming.  Up to that point, he had been completely forthright and honest.  While he was only three, I trusted him completely.  That wall of solid trust crumbled when he told his first lie and from then on I knew the Enemy would be regularly tempting him to lie.

The first trouble with lying is that God despises it.
Proverbs 6:16-17 goes as far to say that He "hates" a lying tongue.

The second trouble with lying is that the lie itself breeds strife.
Proverbs 16:28 says that a "deceitful man stirs up strife." 

For the immature, spiritual mind sometimes there seems to be no way out but to lie.  Except the reality is that each lie leaves him/her enslaved; in bondage to the lie.  Lies wreak havoc in the hearts and lives of those who speak them.

We all know this to be true because we've all likely experienced the bondage and havoc ourselves.

So, today let's adhere to the message in Colossians 3:9-10 and pray that our kids speak the truth.

"Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator."

Jesus,
I pray that my children would not fall into a habit of lying.  I pray they would consider how much you despise lying lips.  I pray they would understand that lying will breed strife in their life. 

So may they throw off their old self and its sinful nature & put on their new self which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of You.  You are honest and trustworthy; may they be imitators of You!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment