Monday, November 4, 2013

A Glorious Reflection

“Everything Glorious”
by David Crowder Band

The day is brighter here with You
The night is lighter than its hue
Would lead me to believe
Which leads me to believe

(chorus)
You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
And I am Yours
What does that make me?
My eyes are small but they have seen
the beauty of enormous things
Which leads me to believe
there's light enough to see that

(chorus)
You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
And I am Yours

From glory to glory
You are glorious You are glorious
From glory to glory
You are glorious. You are glorious
Which leads me to believe
why I can believe

I love this song!  It's a simple reminder that we needn't obsess over our appearance as the world does, but rather we can delight in the knowledge that Jesus, through the Holy Spirit, makes us glorious (both internally & externally).  And to be glorious is to be a reflection of Christ's beauty; His holiness, righteousness, and love.  This reflection begins in the soul and permeates our entire self.

While sitting in church yesterday, I happened to notice a row of high school boys sitting together.  There were five young men.  Four of them were tall, lean & handsome, and they exuded confidence.  Yet one of the boys was an entire foot shorter than the rest.  He wore glasses and had a little extra weight on him.  And it was clear he absolutely DIDN'T exude the confidence the other boys did.  I caught him fidgeting with his clothing often, looking down when spoken to, and timid as he interacted with the other boys.  After watching him awhile, I couldn't help but concur that he likely struggled with self esteem.

To be a teenager today has got to be the worst gig around.  There are so many pressures and expectations regarding physical stature AND successful talents.  For this young man in church yesterday, I imagine he feels he doesn't measure up to these pressures and expectations.

I began to pray for him.  I prayed that he would find his worth and value in Christ alone.  I prayed that he would find fulfillment in Kingdom ministry rather than worldly pursuits.  And I prayed he would grow to reflect the glory of Christ, being transformed into his likeness with ever increasing glory...For there is nothing more beautiful, not to mention freeing, than to exude the glory of Christ.

"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.  And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."  2 Corinthians 3:17-18

I often think about how the pressures and expectations placed upon kids and teens nowadays will affect my children.  I couldn't help but see the face of Grayden and of Cole in that young man yesterday.  

I'll admit I worry they will measure themselves against the world's standards of glory (beauty) AND become enslaved to them.  And I fear when they fall short of the world's expectations (because the Enemy makes sure we all know that we do), AND become crippled by insecurity. 

So I simply MUST take time today to pray the prayer I prayed for that young man in church yesterday.  Will you join me and pray for the children in your lives as well? 

Jesus,
Like the song sings, you DO make everything glorious.  I pray that my children would experience freedom from trying to meet the pressures and expectation of this world in terms of outward beauty and accomplishments.  Rather, I pray they find freedom in Your Spirit as You transform them into a glorious reflection of You.  And may they exude Your glory instead of worldly confidence. 




No comments:

Post a Comment