Thursday, November 14, 2013

His Wisdom

I don't know what to do?

Over the course of the last week I have talked with several moms who spoke these exact words in regards to a parenting decision.  

When it comes to our children and parenting decisions, we don't want to screw up.  We long to make the best choice for them, the right choice; the choice that will protect, challenge, grow, and encourage them.  Yet so often we feel clueless.  We feel overwhelmed by differing opinions and options in parenting.  We simply do NOT know what to do.

Up against this kind of wall, we have great fear.  Fear of failure.  Fear that our failure will seriously harm our children emotionally, physically, socially, intellectually, and spiritually.

So what DO we do when we DON'T know what to do?

First, we pray for God's wisdom.  And by pray I mean the cry-out, "I'm pretty desperate here" kind of praying.

Second, we stop worrying and we start busying our minds with the Word of God.  We seek.  We dig, and dig, and dig the pages of the Bible until He graciously and mercifully gives us His wisdom.


For me personally, I've learned that this kind of praying and seeking is hard work.  It takes commitment and perseverance.  The wisdom of God requires knowledge of God.  And to have knowledge of God, we must wholeheartedly study His words in Scripture.

Proverbs 2:1-11 talks about praying and seeking the knowledge and wisdom of God:

1My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,

2turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding—

3indeed, if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,

4and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,

5then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.


I challenge you, like I've challenged myself, to reflect on what all the underlined phrases practically look like for you on a daily, continual basis.  We must ask ourselves: how can I turn my ear, store up, apply to my heart, call out for, cry aloud for, look, and search for the knowledge and wisdom of God?  

When we do all these things, take a look at how God shows up:

6For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.



7He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,

8for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
9Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.

10For wisdom will enter your heart,
and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.

11Discretion will protect you, 
and understanding will guard you.


POWERFUL.

The Lord promises when we accept, store, apply, turn, call, cry, look, and search He gives us His wisdom in parenting.

To the upright, He gives success in parenting.

To those who walk with Him, He is their protective shield in parenting.

He guards our just course in parenting.

He protects the way of His faithful ones in parenting.

He gives us understanding about what is right, just, and fair in parenting.

His discretion will protect us (and our children) in parenting.

His understanding will guard us in parenting

Friends if you doubt God's ability to give an answer to your "I don't know what to do" parenting moments, then I challenge you to get downright serious (maybe even a little crazy) about praying and seeking His wisdom.  My bet is that He'll show up and blow your socks off with His perfect, wise answer.

Our kids will face countless "I don't know what to do" moments as well.  And there will be a plethora of "wisdoms" available to them via this world.  But my prayer is that they seek out the true source of wisdom, God.

Join me in prayer for our children:

God,
Your Word promises that if we turn our ear to wisdom, if we call and cry out for it, and if we look for it as though we are searching for hidden treasure THAT we will find knowledge of God.  And where there is knowledge of God, there is understanding of His wisdom.  Today I pray that my children would get crazy real about praying and seeking You in all things.  I pray that in those "I don't know moments" they would remember that You DO KNOW and that You desire to give them direction, discretion, and protection through Your perfect wisdom.  A wisdom that points to the good path that is right, just, and fair.  May they desire Your wisdom above worldly wisdom!  May they find the knowledge and wisdom of God in the pages of Your Word.

















2 comments:

  1. Hi Renee,
    I was blessed by reading some excerpts of your blog. I'm not very tech savvy so I don't know if blogs can be subscribed to or not, lol. IF I CAN subscribe to this blog, what are the steps? I'd also like to share this with some friends of mine. Is it alright if I share your blog on my fb page? I think it could be a blessing to many more Christian parents.
    Thankyou for your work in this area.
    God bless you!
    Tamara Rudnicki (Mandell)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara---You may absolutely share this blog on your page. My hope is that we have a community of people praying for the kids in their lives. :)

    Also, you can follow me by e-mail. There is a link to it on the upper right hand side of this page. You will receive an e-mail any time I publish a new post. Thanks so much for joining me.

    God bless you! I've been praying for your family during this difficult time. Your dad played an instrumental role in leading my family to faith. And for that I am forever thankful.

    ReplyDelete