Friday, November 22, 2013

Mediocre Love Just Won't Do

Another blog about love, I couldn't help myself.

17 years ago today Keith and I had our first date.

I'm not going to embellish the facts about those first few hours we had together.  They were very sweet.  But I can only imagine if we were to go back and watch ourselves, we might cringe at how shy and awkward we were.  

It's been over 149,000 hours since those first few.
And I can say with all sincerity that those were two of the most important hours I have ever lived.

17 years together.
It hasn't been a perfect ride.
We've had our ups and and our down.
We aren't perfect and its shown in lots of arguments.
But it hasn't been mediocre.

As I reflect on Keith, I'm so thankful I didn't settle for mediocre.  I'm so thankful I didn't settle for a man whose eyes wonder from my own.  I'm so thankful I didn't settle for a man who puts work, sports, or leisure ahead of his family.  I'm so thankful I didn't settle for a man who selfishly takes and takes.  I'm so thankful I didn't settle for a man who tries to control me.  I'm so thankful I didn't settle for a man who gets in the way of what God is calling me to do.  I'm just so darn thankful I didn't settle for less than God's best for me.


I confess that I'm not one who believes in soul mates.  There are probably a lot of guys out there who I could have loved and would have loved me.  Because when it comes to love, its always a choice.  But by the grace of God, my choice was a wise one.  And for that, I am forever thankful.

When I think about my children and who they will eventually choose to love, fear creeps in.
What if they settle for mediocre?
What if they give themselves away to a foolish choice?
What if they spend the rest of their lives regretting it?

While I know Jesus restores broken hearts and broken relationships, I would just rather they never have to be restored.  I've seen how painful this process can be.  

So my prayer is that when it comes time for them to choose love that godly wisdom would trump human emotion.  My prayer is that they will choose someone to love who loves like Christ (or at least someone who is striving to).

Faithful love.
Sacrificial love.
Grace-filled love.
Merciful love.
Love that runs deeper than any dark circumstance.
Love that rejoices.
Love that is free.
Love that is everlasting.
Love that sustains.
Love that breathes life.

In my opinion, the key to never settling is walking with Jesus in all things.

Having a relationship with Jesus, understanding the depth of His love for me, absolutely directed & drove my love choice.

If my children, like Matthew the disciple, "get up, leave everything, and follow Him" (Luke 5:28) then they will surely never settle for anything less than love like their Savior.  Because when they know and understand the depth & beauty of Christ's love for them, mediocre love just won't do.

So today, let's pray our children grasp how wide and how long and how deep is the love of Christ AND let's pray this knowledge will be the key to them never settling for mediocre love.

Jesus,
Your love IS deep and wide.  Your love is full of mercy and grace.  Your love sustains and breathes life.  Your love is faithful even in the darkest of times.  Your love is anything but mediocre.  I pray my children would know this love of Yours personally.  I pray Your love would seep into every corner of their hearts and secure in them their beauty and value.  And I pray that as they know and understand the depth of Your love for them, as it secures their identity, that mediocre love with a one night stand, boyfriend, girlfriend, or spouse won't do.  I pray Your love will drive them to make a wise choice when they choose romantic love.  May they choose someone who loves like You.  May they never, ever settle for mediocre love.



 





No comments:

Post a Comment