Thursday, November 21, 2013

Praying about Everything...Even the Trivial Stuff

Today I'd like to pray for something about Cole that isn't deeply spiritual.  Frankly, its rather trivial

To those of you who have real, serious, even life-threatening concerns about your children, I apologize.  I, by no means, want to offend you with my trivial problem.  And I am very aware that in the grand scheme of things, this concern about Cole matters little.  

Yet as my prayer life has grown, I've learned God wants us to talk to Him about everything.  He wants to be our #1 on speed dial.  Even for the trivial things.

He says in His Word:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6

"In everything" means we can't prioritize or departmentalize our prayer life.  We can't deem one need important enough to talk to God about and another unimportant.   We don't need to pick our battles, so to speak, with the Father.  He wants in on it all.  He never grows tired or weary of our knocks.  His patience runs deep.  His understanding and patience none can fathom, even for the trivial stuff.  [Isaiah 40:28b]

His desire is that we earnestly seek Him in all things.  And He rewards the "Alright then, You're about to hear everything" kind of faith.

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."  Hebrews 11:6 

With all that said, here's my request:


I would like to pray and ask our Great God to help Cole aim his pee in the toilet instead of all over the walls and floor

I told you it was trivial.

Friends, I'm just tired of walking into the bathroom and being brought to nausea by an intense smell of urine.  I'm tired of getting on my hands & knees and sopping up the pee all over the floor & walls.  

(And in case you're thinking this:  I have made him help me clean it up.  This tactic hasn't worked.  He isn't fazed by his own urine. And it usually makes more work for me in the long run.)

Cole isn't being blatantly disobedient with this pee problem.  He isn't purposely missing the target.  

This is just one of those "He's just a kid" kind-of problems.

Peeing for him is a nuisance.  It cramps his style.  It interrupts his playing.  So, he rushes.  I'm convinced sometimes he's not even looking.  I've seen him race in and out of the bathroom in as little as 5 seconds.  Don't worry, I sent him back in to wash his hands. 


He also is easily distracted, as most 4 year olds are.  He's the type to look around, see something unique (could be a speck of dirt), and need to immediately touch and examine it.  I've seen him take his hands off the "squirt gun"  (if I may) in order to reach for some random, tangible distraction.  And the result was pee everywhere.  The best, or worst, part about it was he didn't even realize what was happening.  He was too distracted by the random distraction.  

My point is that my sweet, little Cole-man just needs to grow up a little.  So I'd like to ask God to help him do just that.

Do you have trivial requests regarding your kids like this one?

If so, why don't you join me today and take it to God in prayer.  He wants to hear about it. 

God,
Thank you for never tiring of my knocks.  Thank you for desiring that I pray to You about everything.  Thank you that You reward those who earnestly seek You, even with the trivial stuff.  So today, would you help my little Cole-man get his pee in the potty.  He's such a delight but his urine all over the bathroom is NOT.  Will you give him the patience to slow down during bathroom visits.  Will you give him the self-control to focus on the task at hand and not be easily distracted.  And will you show me how to help him grow up a little when it comes to a trivial thing like going to the bathroom.  And as always, will you give me patience so that I can give him time to grow.   





2 comments:

  1. Thankful I found this blog! Thank you for your faithfulness.
    Perfect timing as I try to get my 1 month old to sleep in her bassinett insteas on me all night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl! I'm praying right now for you and your little one. May the Lord give you rest. So glad you've found our prayer community.

    ReplyDelete