Friday, December 6, 2013

GUEST BLOG FRIDAY: To Approach the King


written by Erin
Erin is a mother of two young preschoolers.  She is a prayer warrior, someone I reach out to often when I need prayer rooted in Scripture.  I respect her heart for prayer and her love for Jesus.  I pray you are blessed by her words today.  

And as always, I'd love to hear from more of you on Fridays!  Please reach out if you have a prayer to share.  God bless you all. 

Esther 5:1-2


On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king’s hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne, facing the entrance. When he saw Queen Esther standing in the court, he was pleased with her and held out to her the gold scepter that was in his hand. So Esther approached and touched the tip of the scepter.

Since the time my kids were little my husband and I have tried to pray with our kids.  I remember the first time my daughter seemed to really be engaged in it, too, suggesting her own things to pray for…important things like, her favorite doll, her brother.  It always makes me laugh the things she comes up with.  Now that she is older and slightly more defiant, I pray that she will want to pray.  Some nights she just isn’t interested.  

I was recently talking to her about the story of Esther and how different Esther’s experience with her king is than our experience with our King. 

As you may know, the book of Esther is about a Jewish girl chosen to be queen so that ultimately she could save her people because of the favor she was shown by the king (courtesy of God at work, of course!).  

In order to reveal a plot that had been made to kill all of her people, she had to make the request to spare her people known to the king.  The trick at that time was that no one appeared before the king except when they are requested otherwise they would be killed.  Esther took a chance and stood in a place in the king’s court where he could notice her and potentially invite her to come before him.  This could have cost her life but instead the king did invite her to come to him and make her request known.  

This act of bravery on Esther’s part allows a plan to be put in place to save her people.  When I think about what she had to go through and the relationship she had with the king, I can’t help but think about the relationship we have with our King and how he invites us to come to Him.  

And this is what I want my kids to know. Unlike Esther, we can go forward to His throne boldly.  We never have to be fearful – He is constantly extending love and mercy to us because that is who He is.  

Hebrews 4:16 tells us to approach God’s throne of grace with confidence.  



Philippians 4:6 tells us to bring everything to God because of how much he loves us.  

Join with me in praying these truths for our kids. 


God, thank you that Your word reminds us over and over again that You want to hear from us, that we can come to You with anything.  I pray our precious children would approach You with confidence, knowing that You are the giver of every good gift.  I pray they would know You don’t want them to worry about anything – that with thankful hearts they can bring everything to You.  I know one of the best ways for them to learn this is to see it in us as their moms and dads.  Make these truths real for us as well.  In Jesus Name, Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment