Thursday, December 12, 2013

Help Wanted

Grayden likes to know what kind of work people do.

Yesterday we were talking about friends of ours who work at a college campus and tell people about Jesus.

He says to me, "Wow Mom, that's an awesome job."

I love this kid.  The heart of a child is contagious.  Grayden's childlike faith moves me to know and love Jesus better.  And after hearing his statement yesterday I thought to myself, "Do I view sharing the gospel as an awesome job?"

Sadly, not always.
I often view it as hard work.  It can be intimidating, scary, and daunting.  

What if I don't say the right thing?  
What if I offend someone?  
What if I don't represent Jesus well?  
What if I don't have answers to legitimate and intelligent questions?  
What if people persecute or dislike me?  

Telling people about Jesus can be challenging, on so many levels.
But Jesus employs us to be His ambassadors.  He said so just before returning to the Father:

"He (Jesus) said to them (His disciples), 'Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.'" Mark 16:15

So that's it folks.  We're hired.  Jesus wants us on His payroll.  The job is ours.  

And what's the job?  To simply GO and TALK about Him. 

If you think about it, this is a pretty awesome gig.  What an awesome privilege it is to tell people about Jesus, the light and Savior of this world! 

And yes, this God-given job can be hard & challenging.  
But that's where prayer comes in.

I love how in Colossians 4 where Paul asks the church to pray for him as he does this job.  Like us, the job was hard and challenging even for him:

"And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.  Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should."

Then Paul gives the church some advice as they do this God-given job:

"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.  Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

So the Scripture is clear that when it comes to doing this awesome job,

We ask God to open a door; to provide opportunity to proclaim this mystery of who He is.

We ask Him to help us communicate our job clearly.

We ask Him to help us to be wise in how we act to others,
to help us make the most of the job opportunities He gives us,
and to be gracious and wholesome in how we talk about Him with others.

I sincerely love that Grayden views telling people about Jesus as an awesome job.  I'd like to pray that his view never changes and that he accepts the job for himself.  

Join me and let's pray over our children.

Jesus,
You have employed us as Your ambassadors to this world.  You want us to GO and TELL all of Your creation about You.  I pray that my children would take this job seriously.  I pray they would view it as awesome.  I pray they would be bold and fearlessly make known Your gospel.  Teach them to be wise in the way they act toward others.  Help them to make the most of every job opportunity You give them.  May they see clearly when You've opened a door for them to speak up and share.  I pray their conversations about You with others would be full of grace instead of judgment.  And I pray also that those conversations would be seasoned with salt, wholesome and full of flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment