Friday, December 13, 2013

Perfect & Complete Comfort

A large part of parenting young children is being their source of comfort when they are sad and hurting.  

This past week it seems they've needed my comfort more than usual.  Every day there were at least two or three episodes where I had to gather one of my children in my arms and speak words of comfort.  None of the episodes were especially serious.  Cole got a pretty vicious splinter one day.  Grayden broke down after losing a game of Monopoly.  Allie was up crying late in the night and needed cuddled and rocked.


If I'm honest, comforting my children isn't always easy for me.  I'm not the most affectionate and nurturing mom around.  Compared to a lot of women, physical affection isn't my strong suit.  I have to be really purposeful about showing affection to the people I love, it doesn't come as naturally to me as it does to some.  Keith knows this all too well.  I often admire other moms who seem to instinctively know just what to do when their children need comfort.  They have just the right touch and say just the right words.

Even though I'm not great at the whole comfort thing, I do desire to be a solid source of comfort for my kids.  So I do the best that I can.  But like a lot of things, I know I fall short.  And thank goodness, this is where prayer fills the void.  When my children are sad or hurting, I almost always say a prayer asking God to comfort them with His comfort.  This is the only sure-fire response I have, for I know personally that God's comfort is perfect and complete.

Of course I want my children to find comfort in my arms, but I care more that they find comfort in their loving Father.  The following are a few verses we as parents can pray over our children when they need the perfect and complete kind of comfort that only God can give.

Psalm 23:4 


Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will 

fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your 

staff, they comfort me. (NIV)


Psalm 71:5 


For you have been my hope, Sovereign LORD, my 

confidence since my youth. (NIV)


Psalm 119:76 


May your unfailing love be my comfort, according to 

your promise to your servant. (NIV)


Isaiah 49:13 


Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst 

into song, you mountains! For the LORD comforts hi

people and will have compassion on his afflicted 

ones. (NIV)

2 Corinthians 1:3-4
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus 
Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all 
comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that 
we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort 
we ourselves receive from God. (NIV)

Hebrews 13:6

So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I 
will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?" 
(NIV)
Join me and let's pray that our children seek God for His perfect and complete comfort.
God,
May Your unfailing love be my children's comfort when they are sad and hurting.  I pray they would come to know that You have compassion on Your afflicted ones and You long to comfort them. When they are afraid, I pray they would find peace in Your arms.  When they are hurting, I pray they would find healing in Your arms.  When they are sad, I pray they would find true happiness in Your arms.  I pray they would soldify in their hearts that You are the perfect and complete source of comfort for all their troubles.  And as it says in Psalm 71, I pray Sovereign LORD that you would be their hope and confidence in their youth.
And finally, teach me to comfort with words of truth from Your Word and with Your love and compassion.  Whatever I lack, will you fill the void, strengthen me, and equip me to be an ambassador of Your comfort.  

No comments:

Post a Comment