Friday, December 20, 2013

Selfish People are Unhappy

There I was
sick with a head cold,
standing in the freezing cold garage,
exhausted from a long grocery trip,.
and holding two heavy bags in one hand and a 1 year old little girl in the other.

All I asked was that Cole carry and bring in his coat.
You'd have thought I had asked him to carry a ton of bricks.
The groaning and whining began instantly,
"I'm too tired."
"I can't lift it."
In that moment, the world revolved around Cole. 
He was completely oblivious to my plight.


All kids, to some extent, think the world revolves around them.
Some kids turned grown-ups still think the world revolves around them.  I've certainly been guilty of this a time or two or three or...


I'm sure you have many stories of your own where your kids inability to see past themselves left you frustrated.  In those moments their very selfish hearts cared little for the needs and circumstances of others.  

This ME mentality greatly concerns me because I've seen firsthand that selfish people, who think the world revolves around them, are unhappy.

Since we are smack dab in the middle of this Christmas season, take Ebenezer Scrooge for example.  He absolutely lived as though the world revolved around him.  His heart and actions were shockingly selfish.  And he was incredibly unhappy. 

So for ourselves and for our kids, how can we combat this heart 
mentality that the world revolves around us?  How can we find true happiness?

Scripture teaches that...
True happiness occurs when we love others more than we love ourselves.
True happiness occurs when we serve others above ourselves.
True happiness occurs when life revolves around doing the will of God instead of our own.

As my children display selfish hearts by acting as though the world revolves around them, I've begun to pray they would take the path toward true happiness.  Which involves crucifying their selfish desires & living by and keeping in step with the Spirit:

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."  Galatians 2:20

And so..

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.  Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit." Galatians 5:24

It can be a great challenge to bury our own selfish desires and to in turn, keep in step with the Spirit.  Every day we are faced with the choice to live as though the world revolves around us OR to live by faith in Jesus and thus, crucify our selfish desires, and instead gratify the Spirit's desires: to love, to be joyful, to be peaceful, to be patient, to be kind, to be good, to be faithful, to be gentle, and to be self-controlled.  All of these desires keep our hearts revolved around the will of God.  And His will is the source of true happiness for me and for my children.

"For the world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever." 1 John 2:17


Jesus,
A life devoted to and in step with You, a will completely submitted to Yours, and a heart revolved around Your desires is the formula for true happiness.  Today I pray my children would combat the temptation to live as though the world revolves around them by crucifying their sinful natures with all its passions and desires.  May they choose to live by faith in You.  May they keep in step with Your Spirit and His desires.  And may they find true happiness laying down their lives and following after You.










No comments:

Post a Comment