Monday, December 16, 2013

Unity Among Moms


Sadly, there is a great deal of competition among parents these days.  Especially among moms. 

Moms compare, judge, and size each other up constantly.  I know you have all spent time with another mom only to leave feeling insecure or judged.  

Moms should rally together. We should help each other. We should defend & protect each other.  We should encourage each other.  Instead, more often than not, we hurt each other, we accuse each other, we gossip about each other, and we tear each other down.

I've recently thought in depth about why we do this and I've come up with a few reasons:

One, we are full of pride. We think our way of parenting is best.  So we take it upon ourselves to judge other moms against our determined standards.  We accuse, gossip, and tear other moms down because "unlike me, they just don't know what they are doing.

And two, we are completely insecure.  We question our own methods, we doubt our own decisions, and we fear failure. So in order to make ourselves feel better we pick apart other moms.  It's the whole step on someone else in order to make myself look better game.

Thankfully, God has blessed me with a handful of competitive-free friendships with other moms.  These are moms who I respect, not because they are perfect, but because they are honest and humble.  They are doing their best but are willing to admit their mistakes.  They are vulnerable and real about their parenting struggles; they don't wear a "perfect" mommy mask.  When I leave a play date with them I feel encouraged.  And like me, they recognize their desperate need for Jesus as they parent.  He is their greatest source of comfort, strength, and help as a mom.

Some of these moms have been part of a monthly prayer group with me for the past year.  Once a month we meet and spend an hour and a half simply praying for our kids.  We pick topics each month to pray about.  We pray Scripture over our children.  We take time to pray for each of our children individually.  There is no putting on airs.  We come as we are, imperfect and desperate for Jesus, and together we seek God and His Word for wisdom about our kids and our parenting.  I can honestly say our time together is always edifying, it unifies us as moms, and it brings God glory.  What a powerful example of how moms should be interacting with each other.  Can I challenge you to start a group like this of your own.

Lately as I listen and watch moms interact together, I've grown disheartened at how it is affecting our kids.  What kind of example are we setting for our children in the way we interact with each other?  The community of moms we have in our lives should be an example to our children by demonstrating unity among the body of Christ.  We all know the church itself suffers greatly from divisive behaviors and a general lack of unity.  So, it's essential that we demonstrate to our children how a unified church should look. 

A great place to start is to unify as a community of moms.  Let's show our children what it looks like to seek Jesus together.  Let's show them how the church can edify and build one another up.  Let's show them how followers of Jesus need each other; how we can comfort, strengthen, and help each other.


I absolutely love Romans 5:5-7.  It's words are a perfect prayer for moms when it comes to unifying together!

"May the God who gives endurance and encouragement (through Scripture and the Holy Spirit) give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.  Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."

Moms, let's pray this for our community!  And let's pray that through us our children see an encouraging example of Christian community!

Jesus,
I pray you would teach me to love other moms.  I pray you would convict my heart and mind when I judge, gossip about, or tear another mom down.  May I never be the source of division between moms.  Instead, would you give me the humility to recognize my need for a community of moms who love Jesus. 

I pray You would give us moms a spirit of unity among ourselves as we follow Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth we can glorify You in our parenting.  Help us to graciously and lovingly accept one another, just as You've accepted each of us. 

And may we set an example for our children as we unify together and bring praise to You.  Through us, may they see the wonderful benefits of the body of Christ.  As they watch us interact together may they learn to encourage, strengthen, protect, and support the body of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment