Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Confessions of The Forgetful Tooth Fairy

So it's official,


I'm the worst tooth fairy a kid could ever have.

I'm not necessarily cheap.
But I'm always late.
Really late.

Grayden has lost 4 teeth thus far.  And every time he stuck one of those little guys under his pillow, it's taken me days (sometimes longer than a week) to remember my tooth fairy duties.

The trouble is that he is well aware that I am the tooth fairy.  So every time he wakes up, checks under his pillow, and sees his tooth still sitting there he knows I forgot.

Bless his heart, he is really quite gracious about it all.  Some days he will patiently question why the tooth fairy hasn't come yet but most days he says nothing even though I know he checks with anticipation each morning. 

Just last week he lost another tooth and it took me 6 days to remember.  I don't have a good excuse.  I guess I have too much other stuff on my mind.  And by the time the kids go to bed my brain shuts down.  I'm tired and drained from the days work and tooth fairy duties slip my mind. 

Every morning last week I woke up and realized I had forgotten.  And I felt awful

You'd think I would have written myself a reminder note or programmed my phone to buzz at me.  But for some unknown reason I never did.  So this last time I eventually came as a daytime fairy (when Grayden wasn't looking, of course).  That evening before bed I heard him exclaim to his brother,

"Cole, the tooth fairy came during the day!" 

He then followed up with a,

"That's weird."

Yeah kiddo...Weird and pathetic.

This tooth fairy business is like a staple experience for a kid growing up and I'm screwing it up royally.  Instead of remembering it as a fun little game, Grayden will likely remember I always forgot.  Will this ruin him for life?  No.  But if I can help it I'd like that he didn't remember me in this way.

So, I've sworn an oath to myself that the next tooth he loses will be retrieved by the tooth fairy the first night.  I just can't bear to let myself forget again.

As I've created a plan in my head for the next tooth that falls out, I've thought about how thankful I am that my heavenly Father is never late and doesn't ever forget me.

He's never too tired to keep His promises.  He doesn't have too many other things on His mind.

And even in those deserts when I'm wondering where He is, He hasn't forgotten me.  I know because He always finds a way to show me.

"But Zion said, 'The LORD has forsaken me, the LORD has forgotten me.'  Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne?  Though she may forget, I will not forget you!  See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."  Isaiah 49:14-16

This is a truth and promise I want my children to hold close to their hearts.  Even when mom's late or forgets altogether, their God will never forget them.  Because of Jesus, they are engraved on the palms of His hands.  They are ever before Him.  He remembers them and shows compassion always and forever.  His is a love they can trust entirely.  A love that is perfectly on time.

Let's spend some time talking with our kids about God's promise to never forget them.  Perhaps you can share how God has fulfilled this promise in your own life or in the life of someone close to you.  Contrary to what the world is trying to teach our kids, God does exist and He will never forget them.  So let's teach them this truth.

And as always, let's couple our teaching with prayer!

Father God,

Even when their mother forgets them, I pray my kids would find great comfort and peace in knowing that You will never forget them.  Even when the world wants them to question where You are, may they trust in You.  Even when the enemy lies and tells them You've forsaken them in their greatest need, I pray You would, like You've always done with me, show up in a perfect, timely way.  Father, may my kids find refuge and strength in the palm of Your hands.  May they count on You through thick and thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment